New tow rig

EPaulikonis

Re: Ford vs. Dodge . . .

Just bought a new Dodge Ram 3500 DRW 4X4 myself. I'll be hauling a Savannah, so I planned around max trailer wt. of 16,800 when purchasing. Primary reason I went with Dodge was for the Cummins motor, but I also found out that the Aisin HD transmission is built on the Allison specs that Chevy uses. A few of my mechanical friends were checking out the rig and looked very closely at the transmission; couldn't believe it wasn't an Allsion from exterior inspection. Another truck guru locally confirmed...Aisin is built on the exact same specs as the Allison, torque curve and all. Hopeful the Aisin lives up the the same standard as the Allison.

whp4262

This wasn't meant to start a which is better I know everyone has a favorite and brand loyalty, like I said I like my ford and have put a lot of money into the mods to tow with it. I am just over it and the third trip to 2 different dealers giving me it's fixed and you are good to go. So after 7k in repairs in the last 2 weeks most of which were covered by the extended warranty. It time to part ways and continue which my cross county retirement trip. My cyclone weight 18k pounds and I wondered how the ram handle that much weight.

Re: 2013 Dodge mega cab / 2014 cyclone 3110 toy hauler too high in front ?????? This is a current post concerning the height of the new Dodge, might want to take a look at it before you go truck shopping. The new Dodge should pull your rig without any problems. I just sold my Dodge to my little brother and bought a new Chevy Duramax. I had 260,000 miles on the Dodge and the Cummins engine still starts and runs good. All I did to the engine was change the oil, replaced 1 water pump, 3 lift pumps, 1 high pressure pump, a couple idler pulleys, 1 starter and the alternator, pretty tough reliable engine. I'm a fan of Cummins engines but never was a big fan of Dodge.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador

Had our 98 Dodge Cummins for ten years...never thought we'd have a better truck, but it couldn't handle the weight of our 2008 Bighorn, and needed to have a chip to tow.

Traded it for a C4500 Kodiak with the Duramax/Allison...kept that until 2011 when Chevy beefed up their trucks....now we have the 2011 DRW Chevy Duramax/Allison. I have to say, as much as we loved the Dodge...the Chevy is the best truck we've ever owned. Not one issue, except with the NOX sensors in the DEF system, it handles our almost 18K with no problem, even on the mountains out west, and it is totally stock...this truck does NOT need any chip!!

Ford was never considered...

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

I had 260,000 miles on the Dodge and the Cummins engine still starts and runs good. All I did to the engine was change the oil, replaced 1 water pump, 3 lift pumps, 1 high pressure pump, a couple idler pulleys, 1 starter and the alternator, pretty tough reliable engine. I'm a fan of Cummins engines but never was a big fan of Dodge.

This reminded me of one thing I had forgotten about in my post of the only things I've had to replace on my 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 . . . the water pump!

It was while the truck was in getting the water pump replaced that small cracks were discovered on the radiator.

TaosTruckAtGorge-P1020821.jpg SDDevilsTowerTruck-IMG_0564.jpg

mattpopp

Trouble Maker

Just bought a new Dodge Ram 3500 DRW 4X4 myself. I'll be hauling a Savannah, so I planned around max trailer wt. of 16,800 when purchasing. Primary reason I went with Dodge was for the Cummins motor, but I also found out that the Aisin HD transmission is built on the Allison specs that Chevy uses. A few of my mechanical friends were checking out the rig and looked very closely at the transmission; couldn't believe it wasn't an Allsion from exterior inspection. Another truck guru locally confirmed...Aisin is built on the exact same specs as the Allison, torque curve and all. Hopeful the Aisin lives up the the same standard as the Allison.

The 68RFE is basically the same as well.

Funny thing is. As good as the Alison is it is a horrible design for a Cummins engine. The Durmax power band starts much higher in the rpms then a Cummins. So the Alison doesn't begin the build enough hydraulic line pressure at low rpms to cope with a Cummins torque curve.

If you put a Alison 1000 behind a Cummins 850 ftlb engine it would destroy it if you used that power.

The Aisin and 68RFE maybe very similar to the Alison 1000. They are very different when it comes to how and when they make line pressure to cope with the Cummins torque curve.

But a Alison 1000 behind a Cummins would be a stupid waste of money. Heck, Ford builds a better trans then GM.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Subdrv

image.jpgI can't figure out how to change the title but, here is how I fixed the Ford. I picked it up Friday and have 700 miles on so we can continue our trip starting tomorrow. I got the hitch and aux tank installed today. It's getting 17 mpg empty up from 11 on the 450 hope I see about 11 mpg towing the Cyclone.