Newbie Planning 1st Out of State Trip

'Lil Guy'

About to start on a two week trip from Houston to Knoxville, Tenn. area. Want to have a relaxing trip. The stress comes in getting there. I was wondering if we are allowed to catch some sleep at rest stops along the way. I'm not real wild about Walmart parking lots. Don't really want to take the time to pull in and hook up at RV parks if possible unless there's something we want to see on the way and we've seen most of everything on the trip since we've been there before. With my NT21FBS, what is a realistic distance I could drive in a day. Wife won't drive. I'm thinking 500 miles would be about the limit. I've joined GSC and their GSRA. Waiting for their atlas and guide to arrive. Is their Atlas helpful? Be glad when I retire and we can really enjoy some long trips without worrying about time. Won't be long, but until then the short weekend trips are even stressful. Not enough time to relax and take it in. Wanted to go to Yellowstone but afte3r looking at the driving time and all there is to see up there, I'll wait till I retire. I would need about 6 weeks to see all I want to see in that direction. Really jealous of you full timers. Any input would be appreciated and thanks in advance. Frank and Debbie

Heathcote4

We are going from Dallas to Gulf Shores, AL. Took a week of vacation so I can break the drive in two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
We stop at truck stops while in travel mode all the time. FlyingJ and loves usualy have an rv area but if not we have parked with the big rigs before, just don't get in the way and stay far enough up in the space so they will know someone is there and not try to get into that space. We have also done the Walmart thing several times too. Get to one right at dark, park in a far out of way corner and leave early in the morning. Also go in and buy dinner and ok it with manager on duty.

Btw we do carry on generators so we can run ac and tv to relax.

About to start on a two week trip from Houston to Knoxville, Tenn. area. Want to have a relaxing trip. The stress comes in getting there. I was wondering if we are allowed to catch some sleep at rest stops along the way. I'm not real wild about Walmart parking lots. Don't really want to take the time to pull in and hook up at RV parks if possible unless there's something we want to see on the way and we've seen most of everything on the trip since we've been there before. With my NT21FBS, what is a realistic distance I could drive in a day. Wife won't drive. I'm thinking 500 miles would be about the limit. I've joined GSC and their GSRA. Waiting for their atlas and guide to arrive. Is their Atlas helpful? Be glad when I retire and we can really enjoy some long trips without worrying about time. Won't be long, but until then the short weekend trips are even stressful. Not enough time to relax and take it in. Wanted to go to Yellowstone but afte3r looking at the driving time and all there is to see up there, I'll wait till I retire. I would need about 6 weeks to see all I want to see in that direction. Really jealous of you full timers. Any input would be appreciated and thanks in advance. Frank and Debbie

oldmannj

I think you'll find that 500 miles will be a bit too much. If you drive anywhere near the speed limit you'll average ABOUT 50 miles per hour given rest stops fuel stops pet breaks etc. That amounts to 10 hours behind the wheel. Being a truck driver for the last 40 years my body is used to the abuse. Do yourself a favor limit your drive time to 8 hours or so, enjoy your vacation more and see the sights where you are. Not where you figure you HAVE to get to. JMHO ED. Just an added thought....I do it for a living. You are out to enjoy yourself. As they say in the motorcycle world .....it's not the destination, it's the ride.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have pulled a couple of 14 hour days pulling one of our other 5th wheel (Big Country) but we both drive and traded places once every 4 hours. Still it was a long pull and we both had to rest the next day.

MCTalley

That's about a 980 mile trip (the way I would go). If you were intent on getting to Knoxville as soon as possible, you could break it into two days. If you did that, there is a huge truck stop near Atmore, AL that would be at a little over 500 miles from Houston. We've stayed there and it wasn't very full at all. We pulled into a spot far from the main building. They even have wi-fi in the parking lot, but we didn't try it out. From there, it would be another long-ish day on into Knoxville.

If you divide into three days, it would be much more enjoyable (330-ish miles per day). Note that Cracker Barrels will generally let you overnight in their RV spots. Just call in advance and get permission from the manager on duty. If you feel so inclined, grab a hearty breakfast inside before you leave. Only downside is you get to potentially hear the delivery trucks and dumpster truck early in the morning, but its not nearly as noisy as the constant parade of semis in a truck stop.

danemayer

Keep in mind that the ST tires that came with your RV are rated for a max speed of 65mph. If you're trying to drive 500 miles/day, you're probably thinking of going fast. Don't do it. Going too fast will cause internal damage to your tires and eventually they will fail. If not on this trip, on the next when you're driving slower.

I'd suggest no more than 400 miles per day.

Also, check temps where you plan to overnight. If daytime temps are in the 90s, you could be pretty uncomfortable without air conditioning.

And if trucks park next to you at a truck stop, they'll have their engines running all night, right next to your bedroom.

I'd find an inexpensive RV park and leave the trailer hitched - maybe just hook up to electric.

jayc

Legendary Member
If I were you, I'd listen to Ed and Dan. Drive about 400-450 miles a day and stay in an inexpensive RV park with at least electricity and water. You'll be more rested sleeping comfortably with a/c and able to use your own bathroom to shower, etc. Rest areas are fine for taking a nap or stretching your legs- we use them all the time- but think about it another way.

You leave at 8AM and drive for 9 hours, and an hour for lunch. That means your driving day is over at 6PM and the sun doesn't go down until 8. That means it still hot too. Even though you're tired from driving, can you sleep with no a/c or shower? What will you do until dark? If you're in a park, walk around and see and talk to others that are traveling, after you ate food that you brought with you, not from a restaurant. You can sleep in air conditioned comfort. I know this is long but just a thought

Grampafish

Washington Chapter Leaders-Retired
I agree with Jay - listen to Dan and Ed! Paying $30 to $50 per night for extra comfort is worth it, especially while you are still working. Maybe a fixed income will get you into truck stops and Walmarts but while you can always work an extra month or two to pay off those extras. :rolleyes:

Westwind

One thing I've learned to do is by using google maps figure how many miles until I need fuel, pick a spot, then I go on google maps street view and look for a fuel stop that I can get into and out of easily. You can use this to plan trips and I've done it a number of years and it works well for me, but I'm quite Anal. I also keep a fuel log on my computer, I always get a receipt from the fuel and I put it in a folder in the console and at the end of the trip I record the mileage, fuel purchased, amount, and stop address for future use. If I'm going to same way another time the information is on the computer to look up and use again. Hope this helps.

Kbvols

Listen to the accomplished pullers. Find an rv park pay a few bucks for good night's sleep. I did the parking lot thing once won't do it again. A good night sleep when driving and towing is priceless in my opinion.

Mrsfish

I HATE going through cities during the rush time, so I always pay attention to what bigger cities we will be pulling through and what time I will be there. We will adjust our leave time, break time and finish time accordingly. During the heat of the summer I will also try my best to avoid a big pull during the middle of the day. I would rather spread out my travel (even within my vacation allotment) and enjoy my trip then walk into potential problems or stress.

alethaj

When we had our Toy Hauler we had a generator but never parked overnight to use it...We always either pulled into a RV park or just got a no tell motel room...We no longer have a generator so
any future long hauls will be overnight in an RV park....or a few hours rest at a road side park ..... Happy Camping

'Lil Guy'

Thanks for all the good info. Getting rest without A/C would be hard come to think of it. I've printed out a route trip through GS listing the fuel and GSRV parks on the way. We'll play it by ear. Not really in that big of a rush. I try to keep the speeds at 65 MPH. Seems slow after a while but I'm aware of the tire limits. 4 to 500 miles a day should be realistic. I'm thinking now about the rush hour situations around some areas. Might try to do the driving at night. Less traffic. Hey thanks again for the replies. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

caissiel

I never worry about rush hour traffic. Most accidents slowdown traffic at anytime during the day anyway. And cannot predict those. After years of tire problems I never drove at night until I installed LT tires on the trailer.
Fuel savings is greater at night but I find its more tiring driving at lights.
The night time is usually cooler for sleeping.
You will find by experience what works better.
Before retiring we did travel 600 miles per day. Now we can take 3 weeks to travel 3000 Miles. Mostly stay at Walmart and take a break of 2 nights at campgrounds when needed. Makes more sense to us then just park and go for one night.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0151 using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you have a smart phone there are a couple of apps that may come in handy when traveling.
Good Sam has a couple of apps. one is Good Sam Camping and the other is Good Sam Roadside Assistance.
Since you belong to GS they are for you and they are both free.
Another good app is Allstays Camp and RV. I think this one is 3 or 4 bucks.
Allstays will show rest areas, RV parks, fuel stops and more.
It uses GPS and will route you to the destination you choose.

Peace
Dave

Hunter11

Three apps we found very helpful when we went to Ind and back a couple of weeks ago to pick up our new trailer were;

Loves
Pilot/Flying J
Raindar

I was able to find campgrounds ahead of us through our GPS.

Seren

Glad I am going to start full-timing in a few weeks, you are going to be more tired after your trip. It is amazing how stressful life has become, even vacations!

On a side note, dont forget, you need your passport when going over state lines. Actually you don't, but a friend of mine who spent his first 18 years of his life overseas because his father was in the military actually believed he needed a passport when going to different states the first time he came to the US.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Our first big trip with our 5ver was Dallas to the Grand Canyon to Las Vegas and back.

On the return trip, we thought we could go Las Vegas to Albuquerque in one day. That turned out to be a 14 hour day! In the dark of night, both dead tired, we missed seeing a pole in the RV park and at 2 mph pulling into our site, we embedded it into the side of our brand new trailer....

So I would advise, take it easy and don't overdo it. Towing just takes longer than normal driving, by nature of the beast. (Maneuvering at fueling, rest stops, eating, etc. all take longer because you are longer!)

Enjoy the drive! When we go we try to get to our destination (usually an RV park) before dark and only 400 miles away.

Another thing to pack is patience, because you will always have something happen you were not expecting. ;)

'Lil Guy'

All I want is a nice setting, campfire and a few cocktails. Wonder what the homeowners association here would say.....Naaa, the trip is on. Thanks for the advice. We'll take it easy and try to enjoy the whole trip. Am looking forward to some nice scenery to camp at. Good views and close by features to check out at our leisure. I'll see about oading the apps you've suggested. Thanks again.