Opinions on the Heartland BigHorn #3385 "King of the Mountain"

BatPack

Hi, I am thinking about purchasing a used 2009 BigHorn "King of the Mountain" #3385 or a 2010 Keystone Cougar. I heard of a Heartland "Mt Rushmore" who's slide fell off and this concerns me. Does anybody have any opinions on which one is better?

kowAlski631

Hi, I am thinking about purchasing a used 2009 BigHorn "King of the Mountain" #3385 or a 2010 Keystone Cougar. I heard of a Heartland "Mt Rushmore" who's slide fell off and this concerns me. Does anybody have any opinions on which one is better?

Our 2013 BH 3670RL is still going strong after many many days of use and miles. We make sure we do our routine maintenance and address any issues before they become big problems. We've not heard about a "slide falling off", but I'm sure that if it happened someone on this forum has information for you.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
I believe that Heartland and Keystone use the same slide mfg. so it could happen on the Keystone also.

rhodies1

I have a 2012 Bighorn with no slide issues but I do believe Keystone uses total cable system on their slides ...my neighbour has a 2011 Montana and his slides have been a pain in the aaaaaaaaaa.They jump going in and out and make lots of noise.
No unit is perfect but I am not a fan of Keystone products,just personal opinion.

Last edited:

Go-Fly

I've had both, a Cougar and a Bighorn. Doing most my own repairs, I can tell you the quality is about the same between the two. I went with the Heartland this go around because it would hold an apartment size, stack-able washer dryer. There where a few other feature that we wanted that heartland offered. As far as defects over one brand to an other, it's a crap shoot. I see more people have trouble when, they open their slides when the trailer is not level. You see this at rest stops all the time. Pick the trailer that works the best for you, make sure it has been well cared for and there are no major problem and buy it.

danemayer

We have a 2011 Rushmore and our slides have only fallen out once or twice. :p No, seriously, never heard of a slide falling out and it's hard to even imagine that it would be possible. Sounds like an urban legend.

Any previously owned unit should be carefully checked over to make sure everything operates correctly and appears to be in good shape.

Gary521

Slides falling out is a non-issue. Cougar is a step down from a Bighorn.

BatPack

Our 2013 BH 3670RL is still going strong after many many days of use and miles. We make sure we do our routine maintenance and address any issues before they become big problems. We've not heard about a "slide falling off", but I'm sure that if it happened someone on this forum has information for you.

Thank You!!

I believe that Heartland and Keystone use the same slide mfg. so it could happen on the Keystone also.

Thank You!!!

I have a 2012 Bighorn with no slide issues but I do believe Keystone uses total cable system on their slides ...my neighbour has a 2011 Montana and his slides have been a pain in the aaaaaaaaaa.They jump going in and out and make lots of noise.
No unit is perfect but I am not a fan of Keystone products,just personal opinion.

Thank You!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

BatPack

I've had both, a Cougar and a Bighorn. Doing most my own repairs, I can tell you the quality is about the same between the two. I went with the Heartland this go around because it would hold an apartment size, stack-able washer dryer. There where a few other feature that we wanted that heartland offered. As far as defects over one brand to an other, it's a crap shoot. I see more people have trouble when, they open their slides when the trailer is not level. You see this at rest stops all the time. Pick the trailer that works the best for you, make sure it has been well cared for and there are no major problem and buy it.

Thank You!!!

BatPack

We have a 2011 Rushmore and our slides have only fallen out once or twice. :p No, seriously, never heard of a slide falling out and it's hard to even imagine that it would be possible. Sounds like an urban legend.

Any previously owned unit should be carefully checked over to make sure everything operates correctly and appears to be in good shape.

;)Thank You!!! I actually saw the picture of the slide on the ground. It was posted on one of my group pages. It had the kitchen in it. Someone posted that it looked like he was pulling to heavy a load and maybe bent the frame somehow. A lot of people were saying that the Schwintek slides are only held on to the wood framework? I wish I had saved the post.

kowAlski631

;)Thank You!!! I actually saw the picture of the slide on the ground. It was posted on one of my group pages. It had the kitchen in it. Someone posted that it looked like he was pulling to heavy a load and maybe bent the frame somehow. A lot of people were saying that the Schwintek slides are only held on to the wood framework? I wish I had saved the post.

If you can locate the post and picture, I think we'd all like to see it.

danemayer

Here it is!!1 May 11:37

The picture is on a Facebook page that won't display. Permissions for the post are probably not set for public viewing. Can't tell whether this is a Heartland product, much less a Rushmore. And it looks like there may be dual pass through storage in the basement - which I don't think Heartland offers.

Can you post a larger version?

kowAlski631

It doesn't show that it's a Heartland. I'm on Facebook and belong to quite a few groups. Which one is this posted in?

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have seen the post referred to here and no this is not a Heartland unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BatPack

Re: Opinions on the Heartland BigHorn #3385 "King of the Mountain"

The picture is on a Facebook page that won't display. Permissions for the post are probably not set for public viewing. Can't tell whether this is a Heartland product, much less a Rushmore. And it looks like there may be dual pass through storage in the basement - which I don't think Heartland offers.

Can you post a larger version?

Can you click on the picture to enlarge it? It shows the Presidents on the side of the camper.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought the "Mt Rushmore" was a Heartland.

- - - Updated - - -

It doesn't show that it's a Heartland. I'm on Facebook and belong to quite a few groups. Which one is this posted in?

It has the Presidents on the side of the camper. I will try to find the orig. post.

- - - Updated - - -

It has the Presidents on the side of the camper. I will try to find the original post.

- - - Updated - - -

It has the Presidents on the side of the camper. I will try to find the original post.

- - - Updated - - -

It has the Presidents on the side of the camper. I am not sure which group, I asked if anyone remembered seeing it and got the picture. I will try to find the orig. post.

- - - Updated - - -

It has the Presidents on the side. Isn't that a Heartland?