Painting interior walls of our Bighorn

patrick1945

My wife is determined to lighten (paint) the interior walls of our 09 BH. She has too much time on her hands but I will not say that to her.

What is the experience/opinions of this on the forum?

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
While I am still satisfied with the walls in the Bighorn, we have painted and wall papered our other RV's. Other than a good cleaning and a good primer, the only other hint I have is to use either one of those paint pads, or the tiny foam rollers. If you have a good paint store (IE: not Lowes or HD) they will be familiar with the products you need. I sponged a second color when we painted as it gave it a little more depth. Just use a shade or two either lighter or darker. The hardest part is the masking tape. Good luck! and remember, it's just paint, you can always redo it.

jnbhobe

Check with forum member Southernites, I think Larry and Sam painted some walls in their Big Country.

RoadJunkie

If the wife ain't happy...nobody is happy. I am sitting here looking at my walls and wondering if you're planning on painting small areas or the total of the walls? Either way, I would probably remove the border--so there are no hidden lines--and use wall paper. You can try out the wall paper by tacking it up to see how you like it, you're stuck with doing it again if you don't like the paint color or how it looks. I suppose you could achieve the same effect by painting test panel, if you're intent on painting. Either way, it could be a great way to personalize your rig.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
You might try just removing the border and see the difference it makes. There are some pretty good paints out there that should have no problem bonding to the vinyl though. We removed our border in the "stool room" first, just to see the change and it was really much more appealing for us. I'll attach a couple pics.

Attachments

• No Border 1.JPG
    No Border 1.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 197
  • No Border 2.JPG
    No Border 2.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 206
  • No Border 3.JPG
    No Border 3.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 190

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
As Jon said we have painted the interior of our BC.
Glad we did it... way too much brown.

Here is a sample. Please dont think the colors are that vibrant. Not sure why they come out that way. They are actully quite muted.

HPIM1667.jpg

SouthernNights

Thank you, we do too.

Again, my poor photography skills show the paint a little bright but here are a couple of more.

Paint pictures

patrick1945

Well she has done her thing and understand that we no longer camp as we have for 40 years. It was her goal that we have a little cottage on the beach in Florida and I think she was successful. She wanted light colors and although there is some color contrast they wash out with the flash. We removed the vertical portion of the valances, recovered the horizontals, covered the sofa with a slip cover, replaced the chairs with lighter ones, replaced the side tables, placed "beach-type" decorations, painted the walls throughout and added 2 small carpets for accent.

pictures can be seen at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rvsnowbirds1971/sets/72157624956934349/

Last edited:

PSF513

PATRICK: Unless my eyes decieve me (and at my age, they sure can), you have an awful lot of white. Even though my wife has only begun to decorate our unit, you certainly know that the beach is the theme. That said, Leslie Pasch (jim-n-leslie) can teach every wife I know a lot about decorating. She has done so with my wife and the wives of a couple of our friends. Yours really does not seem that bad.

SouthernNights

Very nice Patrick, looks good.
Making your trailer "yours" is alot of fun and more enjoyable to use IMHO.

Have fun with the new beach cottage.

patrick1945

The photos do make it look white inside; but, it really is a color called Gobi Desert - basically a soft beige, the color of sand dunes. The flash attachment washes the color out. The walls in the bedroom are Coastal Fog - sort of a green/gray - like fog. The DW used khaki cotton duck for the upholstery and slipcover. I told her she was crazy to paint everything, but she insisted and did all the reupholstering and painting herself. I, of course, had a Honey Do list. . . . She walked pretty funny for a few days after the painting was done. Guess there are a lot of very small spaces. She used a pretty handy gizmo to paint the edges and needed very little tape.

I just came across this notation and looked at your pics.... AMAZING!!!!!!!! IT is BEAUTIFUL~~~~~
awsome job, worth all the work.... BEAUTIFUL~ thxnxx so much for posting and showing that we don't have to have cookie cutter 5ers~ we really can have home sweet home on wheels~

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Great job! You have truly done a 5ver 'makeover' that fits your vison of a beach house. Love it!