Popping noise - I've had it checked by dealer

ParkIt

Every once in awhile I catch up on this thread to see what has been suggested to reduce/eliminate the popping sound. So far we haven't had much if any but I think I'm used to slight popping sounds from all the years of RVing.
That being said...I wonder if it could be reduced with X chocks? It seems the axles would have some movement with heat expansion & contraction and the energy is forced out and up through the coach.
Just a thought as I don't know of anyone who has had this issue that uses them.

Mizmary

Some things to know

1. It's not isolated to the 6pt system. We don't have the leveling and have the popping. It is only in the front where the hydraulic legs are, though.

2. It is worse on very solid surfaces, ie cement without the pads under the legs. It still happens with the nylon pads under the legs but the sound isn't quite as loud. It is minimized on soft surfaces like dirt/gravel pads.

3. It happens with temperature changes.

4. We use the X-chocks and still have the sound.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Just some FYI:

My popping may or may not have been as bad as the next guys. I never heard anyone else's trailer so I only have mine to go by. It would pop fairly consistently in the evenings right after dark and in the morning right after sunup. Didn't matter if the jacks were in direct sun or what the temperature was or how many blocks I had under the jacks.

I used the Cat additive in Texas about 4 weeks ago. After cycling the level up several times after adding the additive I still had some popping though not as bad as without the additive.

Fast forward 4 weeks and I am sitting directly on concrete, no blocks, legs extended about 16" each in 90+ degree temps during the day.

All the popping has stopped. I hope it stays that way. :)

marvmarcy

It has been weeks since treating my hydraulics, and I've cycled the gear and slides six times. Even though we're getting 90s for daytime highs and 60s for overnight lows, we've not noticed any popping. Thank you Bob T. and Lippert!!

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We've done about the same but still get popping in the front door side jack. Do we add more stuff or what?

Kristy

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
There were quite a few units who had the additive put in at the Goshen Rally. Was hoping to see on this thread whether or not in the last month they've seen a difference?
We had a pretty good hot spell, then a 20 degree cool down and the popping was pretty rampant. Adding the additive next week (our first chance) and I'll try and report back.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
We only had the trailer for 4 nights before the lippert team put in the Torq additive at the rally, but we have never heard any popping from day one.
When the team (2 guys) came by and added the additive, they said there was a lot of air in our hydraulic system. They ran all the hydraulics (slides and jacks) several times all the way up, out, down and in. Everything seems to be great!

marvmarcy

My system took three quarts of additive - one RFF15 and two Cat additive. I suspect the Cat stuff may be a little better but cost twice as much. We've been over two months since the fix and rarely hear anything from the hydraulics, and even then it is much quieter. I'm happy!

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
It has been over a month with our fix added, RFF15, popping is almost none existing. One other thing I do to reduce the popping is when I put out our hydraulic slides I take some of the internal hydraulic pressure off by hitting the reverse or close button slightly to reduce the pressure in the system. I am also content with the fix, hope it stays this way.

ejwright

As many others have indicated, I am also experiencing poping from our landing gears. It appears that there is an additive that will solve the problem. Many have mentioned RFF15 and CAT additive. Where can I get this and what is the procedure for adding it?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You can order if from Amazon.com. Torco RFF15.
With the landing gear up and the slides in, remove 1 quart of the oil from the hydraulic reservoir. Then add the Torco. Cycle the landing gear and slides a couple of times and you are done.

Peace
Dave

marvmarcy

It helps, but it may not completely stop all popping. I'm back in CO Springs and the popping has returned, but not nearly as intense or frequent. It only happens when the sun rapidly heats a hydraulic ram or the ram rapidly cools just after the sun sets. It certainly is much less annoying than it was the first year. I now consider it a quirk instead of a problem.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Our 2013 seems to do it occasionally, also in concert with the temps....much less however than our retrofitted Bighorn did. On the Bighorn we solved the issue by blocking under the jacks to lessen the stroke.

The Landmark does it so infrequently we also consider it just a "quirk"....if that is the worst we have to deal with in our ten months of ownership...we are happy campers!!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We found the additive at a motorcycle shop. (It was a Yamaha-Honda shop) We did the additive following instructions and have not had any popping issues since. BTW it was really funny because they sell the additive in pint containers and neither DW or I could remember how many pints in a quart. So when I asked the people at the Motorcycle shop how many pints in a quart no one could remember either. Finally we Googled the question and found 2 pints to a quart. I all worked out cause I bought 4 pints just to be safe. So now I have 2 pints in reserve. I figured if the popping returns I will add another pint.

I just got off the phone with lippert and they have a fix for the popping noise. They want you to add Torco RFF Racing fork fluid to your system. i have attached the document they sent me.
The Torco worked for several weeks now we are back to popping all the time. After reading through all of the added post on just this topic I'm really discouraged about the quality of my purchase.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
Hey stan.nations,
I understand your frustration but blaming it on the brand is not fair. Blaming it on Lippert may be more appropriate. I am sure if you look through other fourms of brands that use Lippert Level-Up there will be the same issues. This issue is not limited to Heartland. I would try a second application of the Torco or do as I do. After running hydralic slides all the way out tap the retract position on switch to reduce the hydralic line pressure this will reduce the "STICTION" issue.

Jim

tssanders

We have this same problem develop...first time we have been on concrete. Is this causing any damage or is something broken? Sure is annoying!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It will not cause any problems other than to your nerves.
Follow the link that Dan provided.
The Torco really does help.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk