Popping noise - I've had it checked by dealer

marvmarcy

Don't expect the anti-stiction additive to eliminate the popping, but it will lessen the popping. I added three pints and always place wooden blocks under the feet and it helped quite a bit, but I still have popping and shaking on occasion when there are rapid temperature changes. especially when on a hard surface like concrete.

Don't expect the anti-stiction additive to eliminate the popping, but it will lessen the popping. I added three pints and always place wooden blocks under the feet and it helped quite a bit, but I still have popping and shaking on occasion when there are rapid temperature changes. especially when on a hard surface like concrete.

I have had the Lippert 6 point level system for 3 years on my BigHorn 3610RE. We never have heard popping sounds and believe me if there was my wife would have let me know. Been from Florida to California to Michigan and camped everywhere between. I was just wandering why I don't have the problem while a lot of others do. There has to be something different in how the equipment was installed/ who installed it or how it is used and maintained.

kowAlski631

Our popping has been intermittent in our BH & we also have the 6 point system. I understand, though, that others have had it happening frequently.

Paul & Martha

Life's too short. Live so you can say "Remember when" not "I wish I had".

ATLJOHN

We'll looks like we have joined popping issue. I have my level up system since 2011 and now that GA is having some very cold spells we get the popping as the rig is sitting in my driveway with my jacks down. I may have to contact Lippert for the oil. Does anyone is one better then the other.
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kowAlski631

Get it from a motorcycle shop. Someone, please chime in with the name - not in a place to retrieve it right now.

Paul & Martha

danemayer

Get it from a motorcycle shop. Someone, please chime in with the name - not in a place to retrieve it right now. .
Scroll up or down to post #218 and click on the link. All the details are there. You can get the fluid from a local shop or from Amazon.com.

kowAlski631

Thanks Dan. Paul reminded me that we ordered it from Amazon since there were no bike shops near us when we needed some.

Paul & Martha

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
Lippert sheet number 0295, available from Lippert Customer Service, shows 3 anti-stiction fluids that can be used. However, Lippert customer service recommends Caterpillar Hydraulic Oil Additive 1U-9891 ($25/32oz). The other 2 products listed on the sheet are Torco RFF Grade 15, and Maxima Fork Oil Grade 15. That said, I believe Lippert was using the Torco oil at the Heartland rally in Goshen last June. Moderator Cookie had it done by Lippert and may be able to verify what oil was used. Good luck.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We added the quart like it said and everything was fine for a month or so and then the popping returned. Added another pint and it made it better but still have some popping.

kowAlski631

How often do you cycle the jacks? We travel at least once a week & rarely have had the popping since we added the fluid last June.

Paul & Martha

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Had the guys in Goshen add the lubricant to our new rig and didn't have any issues until the last month or so here in the desert. Really pops and shakes when the temp starts falling. Spoke with the Lippert guys at the big tent (RV Show in Quartzsite) and they sent me over to a local dealer where Lippert guys were installing 6 pt on rigs from the tent sales. Spoke with Ron and he gave me a quart of the Maxima fork oil (he had several cases on hand). I removed a quart of the fluid in the system and replaced it with the new stuff. Have not exercised the landing gear yet (necessary to mix it in and get it to the parts) but we are packing up and hitting the road next week. I will report back after that with the results.

Rodbuster

Instead of replacing just 1 quart, would it be beneficial to replace 2 quarts or, even replace all of the hydraulic fluid with Torco?

Dick

danemayer

Instead of replacing just 1 quart, would it be beneficial to replace 2 quarts or, even replace all of the hydraulic fluid with Torco?

Dick
Dick,

It took Lippert close to 2 years to figure out what to do about this noise. I'd follow their instructions.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just a thought, is there any difference in the popping between the 4 hydraulic leg system and the 6 leg system? Just wondering since I would think the 4 leg system one would have more weight to support.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

marvmarcy

Dick,

It took Lippert close to 2 years to figure out what to do about this noise. I'd follow their instructions.

Bob Tiedge from Lippert came to my camp site last year to look at the popping issue, and he locally purchased several pints of the Cat fluid. I had already added two pints of Torco fluid, but we added a pint of the Cat fluid. I don't think there is a problem with adding even more antistiction fluid, as he left me with yet another pint. However, if 3-4 pints don't help much, it seems a waste of money to replace all the fluid at up to $30/pint.

marvmarcy

Just a thought, is there any difference in the popping between the 4 hydraulic leg system and the 6 leg system? Just wondering since I would think the 4 leg system one would have more weight to support.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I have a four point system and wondered if that might be part of why Lippert went to the six point system. Bob Tiedge of Lippert didn't say that when we discussed it. I think Lippert felt the six point system stabilized the rv better and allowed removing the slow and clunky rear stabilizer. Both systems have popping issues. Lippert can convert a four point to a six point system and they leave the rear stabilizer in place unless you want it removed. I would like that better but not enough to pay what it costs.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I had the addition done at the Goshen rally and got two quarts added, due to a mistake by the Lippert techs that were doing it. I still have the popping noise noise, especially when there are temperature changes. I called and got another case number from Lippert.

I am parked next to a Carriage owner with a Big Foot leveler system and he has the same popping noise, so it's apparently not limited to Lippert.

porthole

Retired
I have a four point system and wondered if that might be part of why Lippert went to the six point system. Bob Tiedge of Lippert didn't say that when we discussed it. I think Lippert felt the six point system stabilized the rv better and allowed removing the slow and clunky rear stabilizer. Both systems have popping issues. Lippert can convert a four point to a six point system and they leave the rear stabilizer in place unless you want it removed. I would like that better but not enough to pay what it costs.

Lippert started with a 6 point.
Manufacturers, when offering it as an option started, with the 4 point ($$$)

And there is a reason they are all now 6 point.