Possible inverter type AC replacement

mystic

The AC in our van is still working well, but it is noisy and not as cold as modern inverter system units. Since we stay in hot places mainly, we were thinking of seeing if we could find a drop-in replacement that would give us improved service.

Our original unit is a Dometic 59516.331

So we are looking for a similar mounting unit with more modern inverter technology. While we are in Australia, with 240V power, our van is set up with 120V wiring. If there is a better unit, we'll have to import it direct. The local agents only handle models that suit the Australian standards, and don't seem too interested in helping us.

Has anyone any experience with this upgrade??

Thanks

Peter

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Peter, I believe your A/C unit is a 15,000 BTU standard RV unit. Any RV A/C will mount in the same location but most, if not all, are as noisy. I know Carrier makes good RV A/C units as well so that may be a possibility for you. Your existing unit should be plenty for your van though. Have you checked the return air filter to see if it's clogged with dust? There also may be some room for improvement in air flow. I'll attach a PDF of a modification that may help you with better air flow and cooling. This is designed for Bighorn type trailers but should be useful to you as well.

Attachments

• Compiled_Air_Con_Mods_b.pdf
    891.6 KB · Views: 18

wdk450

I hadn't heard of inverter air conditioners before your post, so I did a websearch and learned some things. Mostly, I learned that running costs are comparable with conventional air conditioners due to power losses in the AC-DC conversions. The biggest possible bonus was the fact that they pretty much run constantly at varying speeds instead of cycling on and off, which is hard on components and hard to maintain a constant temperature.

A websearch on "Inverter RV Air Conditioner" didn't come up with any names of suppliers.

I found an Australian website on Air Conditioning which has a section on inverter air conditioner technology. Here is the link:
http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/aircon_faq