Possible roof problem

wyleyrabbit

I am worried I might have a problem with my roof. I went out to visit the trailer last week, and climbed the ladder to have a peek at the roof. What I saw is a bit tricky to describe, but essentially, the roof seemed like it was swollen between the roof beams. Wherever the beam is, the roof went down to meet the beam, but then went up perhaps a couple of inches or more between beams before sloping back down at the next beam.

I did my best to take a photo of it with my crappy phone camera. The attachment is here: roof.jpg

Is this something I should be concerned about? Is it normal? Or is something horribly wrong with my roof?

Thanks.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know if it's normal or not, but it looks like the roof on my 2008 Bighorn. Never had an issue with it.
This was discussed here some time back. Maybe someone will chime in.

Peace
Dave

wyleyrabbit

Thanks Dave. Maybe ours has always been like this and I had just never noticed. It seems like a new problem, but I could be wrong.

Hopefully I'll hear from others.

jbeletti

Hard to really tell from your picture. I think another guy on the forum put a long straight edge across any dip/valley he had and photographed it with a measuring tape showing the depth of the dip. He sent those into Heartland for determination.

Consider doing something like that. The email address for Service is on the left side of the portal page. Include your VIN and contact information if you email in some images to them.

Jim

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
If the snow on the roof is wet & heavy or very icy, it's probably causing the sag in between the roof joists. You could try to remove the snow & ice but you might possibly cause damage to the roof membrane.

wyleyrabbit

Ray,

We did have some snow a few weeks ago, ~15 cm (~6 inches) followed by rain the next day which turned it to slush. I'm sure it was quite heavy.

Could that have done it? And if so, will the roof go back to normal, or is it scarred forever?

Furthermore, is there a problem with the roof being like this?

Cheers.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ray,

We did have some snow a few weeks ago, ~15 cm (~6 inches) followed by rain the next day which turned it to slush. I'm sure it was quite heavy.

Could that have done it? And if so, will the roof go back to normal, or is it scarred forever?

Furthermore, is there a problem with the roof being like this?

Cheers.
The roof should return to normal. Once all the snow and slush are gone, it would be a good idea to inspect closer. It may warrant an insurance claim if it appears to be damaged. Your servicing dealer is your first go to if you feel there may be a problem. Also a visual inspection of the ceiling to see if it's sagging. I hope all works out well.

Hoosier Wolverine

I'm confused...Didn't the original post say the roof was ballooned (not sagging) between the joists?...
Wouldn't the weight of snow cause the opposite problem, a sagging between the joists?