Refrigerator Slide needs roller replacement

kkamshop

Ok, our kitchen slide has been making a rattling noise and pushing the vinyl a bit for a while now. It sounds like the roller is either cracked or not turning as it comes in. While we were on our last trip I noticed the vinyl is cut in 2 places ( I assume this is at the ends of that noisy roller).

For those who have some experience with this, is this a repair my very handy hubby can do himself? The repair guys at the national rally have not wanted to tackle the job which makes me think it could be difficult - is it? We were thinking of replacing the vinyl anyway, so that is not my concern.

If anyone has done this, any advice would be appreciated. Or if this is something we should take to the factory service center let me know that as well.
Thanks, Kathy

TxCowboy

Kathy, replacing the slide rollers is a job for a highly qualified RV service. It likely requires lifting the slide upward to access the roller's mounting screws. In some cases, it may require removing the slide entirely.

I've never had this type of repair completed so my comments are based upon what I've read in this and other RV forums.

HTH. :)

farside291

I had the repair done, they removed both slides and the island, replaced the rollers and replaced all the vinyl for a small fee of 15,000!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Kathy, in some cases the rollers are removable by turning the shaft a bit and pulling it out.
I think that Ken will be able to handle that.
He may also have an angled screw driver in his tool box to access the screws if needed.
Either way he will have to jack the slide up a bit.

The vinyl should be replaceable by any residential installer.
You might also consider replacing with a laminate.

Peace
Dave

farside291

Yes, that was 15,000 dollars for the whole job. I retracted the refrigerator slide and one of the rollers sheared the screws and the slide room grinded it into the floor tearing up the vinyl. They had to remove everything because the vinyl is all one sheet.

Bobby A

Yes, I've had mine done twice !! and yes they had to remove the slide out, I still put a piece of luan (real thin wood) down where the roller is, so it doesn't damage my leno. I try to keep the rollers lubed up good also.

Piperflyer

Yes, that was 15,000 dollars for the whole job. I retracted the refrigerator slide and one of the rollers sheared the screws and the slide room grinded it into the floor tearing up the vinyl. They had to remove everything because the vinyl is all one sheet.

I sure hope you were still under warranty and didn't shell that kind of money out of your own pocket.

farside291

Yes it was covered, but under the extended warranty for part of the repair and the rest was covered by the dealership who improperly adjusted the slide after a repair. The slide was over extending, bent the brackets and caught the roller coming in and ripped it off. All is good now, but I still get a funny feeling in my stomach when ever I extend and retract the slides.

Bobby A

I sure hope you were still under warranty and didn't shell that kind of money out of your own pocket.

Yes, I was told that back when I got my rig there were a bad batch of rollers, the second one was out of warranty but Heartland stepped up to the plate and covered it. They have been very good to me, and I'm grateful.