Removing Electric Brakes

BigGuy82

When I convert to disc brakes in a few weeks, I'll just snip the brake wires that route through the axles on my 3010RE when I remove the drums. I'm assuming that the brake controller wire that carries the brake activation current has to go through a distribution block (and perhaps controller/booster) of some sort so that the single wire from the controller sends the signal to all four brakes. Is this correct? If so, where is this located? I'm assuming in the battery compartment, but I don't want to start tearing out stuff until I know what's what.:confused:

I'm all set on the parts and process for installing the electric/hydraulic disc brakes. Has anyone out there had experience removing the existing electric brake system?

jnbhobe

I just snipped the wires at the axles and disconnected them at the pin box and left them there. Then pulled the drums and unbolted the backing plates. Your ready for the installation, Pack your bearings, with Kodiak you have to install the races then put in the seals. Next is the caliper brackets and your ready for rotors.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

You will just cut the blue wire in the junction box on the back of the pinbox.
That is also where you will connect all of your control wire to operate the booster pump.

I'm in the process of installing mine right now.

073e83088476b7803e4b71544b20f4b2.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

bdb2047

On pin box there is a junction box that has your 7 wire plug coming from.Inside the control wire for truck brake controller will connect to trailer brake wire,should be blue.You can disconnect there or if you can locate wire in trailer cut and use to operate actuator.

BigGuy82

You will just cut the blue wire in the junction box on the back of the pinbox.
That is also where you will connect all of your control wire to operate the booster pump.

I'm in the process of installing mine right now.

073e83088476b7803e4b71544b20f4b2.jpg

Y0u should see what I have for a "junction box". It's a 4" square metal indoor household wiring junction box. Not waiterproof - VERY cheap and shabby.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

That's what we all had. Some of us have changed them out to a coiled cord and a 7-way junction box.

608af822e48e63b2691bf06b9e5783f5.jpg

I have made up quite a few of them for the Heartland gang.

ed3214ec39e25d8236567f26da3c1f90.jpg

BigGuy82

That's what we all had. Some of us have changed them out to a coiled cord and a 7-way junction box.

Sad. Really cheap crap. And if I had to guess, they hold the wires together with wire nuts? I already ordered a new junction box - I don't like to have preventable problems.

Bob.jr

Wow, that box is looking kinda full.

Sent from my HTC Desire 610 using Tapatalk

danemayer

Sad. Really cheap crap. And if I had to guess, they hold the wires together with wire nuts? I already ordered a new junction box - I don't like to have preventable problems.

Are you planning on upgrading all the junction boxes in your trailer, or just that one?

danemayer

That one stands out because it's out in the weather. As far as I can see, everything else is inside?
As for the umbilical connection, the j-box for mine and those I've seen are located under the pinbox and are fairly well protected from rain or road spray. Over the past 6 years, I think I can recall one or two posts about connection failures; and I think those were due to loose connections, not weather issues.

But you probably have j-boxes under your slideouts. You might take a look at them. They are also pretty reliable, but probably much more exposed to the elements. If you have an on-board generator, there's a j-box for that as well.

BigGuy82

As for the umbilical connection, the j-box for mMine and those I've seen are located under the pinbox and are fairly well protected from rain or road spray. Over the past 6 years, I think I can recall one or two posts about connection failures; and I think those were due to loose connections, not weather issues.

But you probably have j-boxes under your slideouts. You might take a look at them. They are also pretty reliable, but probably much more exposed to the elements. If you have an on-board generator, there's a j-box for that as well.

Thanks. Generator was aftermarket and I'm pretty sure the box is inside. I'll check the slides when I pull the fiver out of storage and install the Flex-Air pinbox next week.