rv market must be burgeoning because... I think I know more than the technicians I have dealt with

myla296

Background: I bought an rv used and though I realize that there will be some quirks involved in such a purchase, this one is laughable. Enjoy. Other than that I would like to comment that this goes to show how little the salesman and other people in the office know about rvs in order to keep someone that would do this and leave it like this, employed there. You might even be able to see the bundle that is their splicing work.

https://youtu.be/iKLoL7bijxA (My phone won't let me paste into the official video embed option, sorry)

- - - Updated - - -

I should add that I did really enjoy working with this technician and is very nice but it appears that their level of training may be low and he likely knows things just from trial and error since he has to know so many things... It's worse than being a contractor. So, I don't want to snitch them out. But, one should be informed if venturing into rv world.

fredwrichardson

Past New Mexico Chapter Leader
Background: I bought an rv used and though I realize that there will be some quirks involved in such a purchase, this one is laughable. Enjoy. Other than that I would like to comment that this goes to show how little the salesman and other people in the office know about rvs in order to keep someone that would do this and leave it like this, employed there. You might even be able to see the bundle that is their splicing work.

https://youtu.be/iKLoL7bijxA (My phone won't let me paste into the official video embed option, sorry)

- - - Updated - - -

I should add that I did really enjoy working with this technician and is very nice but it appears that their level of training may be low and he likely knows things just from trial and error since he has to know so many things... It's worse than being a contractor. So, I don't want to snitch them out. But, one should be informed if venturing into rv world.

What training? I do not believe there is any training from any RV manufacturer. When I talked to the service people at my local dealer very few have been on the job more than three years and they all were trained by the last guy that had been there three years. The RV industry is growing and that is a good thing but training is on the job by the seat of their pants and that is not good.

wdk450

There is a generic online national certification course the RVIA Certified Technician course. Look for RVIA certified technician patches on the employees or certificates in the RV service department wall, just as you would look for ASE certificates in any automotive shop.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
There are very few that REALLY know what they are doing. Its the old saying. "used to want to be one...now I are one". RV's are not rocket science. The techs would be lost in new cars and trucks.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If you want to get your RVIA certification there are courses available. It is too bad many RV 'technicians' are not RVIA certified. Terry Cooper does offer training for those interested. Terry is a Master RVIA Certified technician and used to be a Professor at the Waco College where he taught a full blown RVIA RV Technician course. He currently teaches the 1 week RV Repair course through Workkamper.com and also travels around teaching inservice classes to RV Dealers for their service 'techs'. So there are those out there that have gotten formal training. Just ask the tech how they learned to do their job.

wdk450

I think I read about RVIA technician certification involving something like a 3 month residence course in Florida a few years ago. Now it looks like it has gone totally to online courses and tests.