Slide Awning???

chilidog

Hey there campers, my wife and I have a question for all of you. We just purchased a 2011 Big Country 3500RL and I just noticed that there is no awning over the slides? Is that normal? It seems to me that there should be an awning to redirect the rain, etc. Anyone have any pointers for us? Thanks in advance...

branson4020

Icantre Member
Slide topper awnings are an extra-cost option. I have them and would not buy them again. They make too much noise when they flap in the wind. Toppers are not to redirect rain (the roof of the slideout slopes away from the trailer) but to provide a little sun protection and to keep debris off the slides.

archbarb

We did get them on our BC 3250TS and have heard stories about flapping with the wind, but in 7 months haven't noticed any wind noise. I think they are worth the cost to keep debris from collecting on top of the slides. Also I'm thinking it helps with the direct sun creating heat on top of slides!!!!!Just my thought's.

Archie

Birchwood

Probably more positive reasons to have the awnings than negative .Really the only negatives would be
the wind noise and the extra cost.Not sure if they would be worth your cost to have them installed
but its a nice option and I do like the extra protection they provide.We have them on our Landmark.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I agree, the positives outweigh the negatives. We have them and like them alot. Only heard a little flapping one time and that was in a 50+ MPH wind.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I don't have them but if I were to ever buy a new rig I think I would get them. My slide out roofs are full of black spots that I can't remove. I think slide toppers may prevent this. I have cleaned all roof surfaces regularly but for some reason the slides look pretty bad.
To eliminate flapping noise there are several ways to support them. Easy to fine here on the forum by doing a search.

convert

Reginald Hromek
HI there, I would definitely have slide awnings for no other reason but to keep the rig cooler in the hot sun. They provide shade for the slide where the roof is not as thick and also afford air flow under keeping the slide room much cooler. This is from experience, my first slide awnings are on my 2011 Bighorn and they do make a difference. Just my opinion from experience.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I had them put on by the dealer before we took delivery. Definitely worth it unless you want to crawl up on the roof whenever you want to retract the slides to clean off acorns, leaves, twigs, and birdie-doo. And unless you've got them mounted bass-ackwards, they do direct the rain away from the tops of the slides. We've not noticed any noise problems with them.

hoefler

The first time you have to get on top and sweep off your slide because of leaves, acorns or what ever might collect up there, you will wish you had them!

Bob and Chris

Senior Members
We added them when we ordered our Augusta and have been glad we did; we camp locally under some big oaks - they keep the acorns, the twigs and the bird droppings outside where they belong.