Slide out covers

Buford445

This is Good Discussion, I want them, I have heard of people putting a ball (Basket, Soccer, Volley) under them to keep them up a little, has anyone done this ?
I have thought about making a frame out of PVC that can be taken apart to help keep them in shape, Any Thoughts ?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
This is Good Discussion, I want them, I have heard of people putting a ball (Basket, Soccer, Volley) under them to keep them up a little, has anyone done this ?
I have thought about making a frame out of PVC that can be taken apart to help keep them in shape, Any Thoughts ?

I made the PVC frame for the long living/dining room slide only. The others (on my rig) don't need it. Since we're primarily summer seasonal site users, I install it in May and remove it in September. If we were running from campground to campground, I probably wouldn't bother with it.

lwmcguir

To Bobcat, after more than 2 years of use we have only had our toppers "pop" maybe 3 times that we could actually hear.

In the Texas heat, they provided extra insulation to the slide roofs, and now here in the rainy NW they help keep a lot of leaves, cones, moss, algae, and water off the slides, and the toppers scrub clean a lot easier than the EPDM.

I think these are all good benifits and why we have them as well. Out here in the Midwest the wind is an issue and you will want to have some kind of support made up.

mjatwalker

Retired MD Chapter ******s
The only time I have ever had any of mine flap was at the Outerbanks last spring. Was loud enough that we pulled the bedroom slide in about half way. I still would never be without them !!

I'm with you John, Everything was flapping that weekend.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

I actually bought a pvc frame device that went under the slide topper and found it more trouble than the effort to assemble it was worth. If the toppers are adjusted correctly i.e. tight enough the wind does not affect them that much unless the wind is 30mph or higher. The rain does pool on it some but I have not found that to be an issue. I have seen people put beach balls under them and toss a rope over them and tie them down but keep in mind the beach ball will tend to stretch the awning making it looser and the rope could cause the edge to tear. We love ours and have only heard the wind blow them in high wind situations. I would rather have them then have to climb up to clear off the top of the slide before closing it.

ElkStalker

Anyone know if the factory will install them? How much? I was quoted $960 from RVwholesalers for two slided outs awnings on my 3010 that I just ordered.

B

bwwalczak

We install slide topper awnings here at the factory - so long as we are building a new unit (we don't install after built). The prices you posted sound very competitive.

By the way, we install black awnings from the factory.

Bob Vaughn

We install slide topper awnings here at the factory - so long as we are building a new unit (we don't install after built). The prices you posted sound very competitive.

By the way, we install black awnings from the factory.
Is the awning white with a black case or is the fabric actually black also??

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We also have our slides with the slide toppers which were installed by the dealer when we got the coach. He suggested getting Colorado Carefree slider topper which have been on the rig starting on our 5th season. They have held up very well and sure save the top of the slide. I also agree that they seem to help cut the direct sun in the summer heating up the slide top as quickly. Every now and then we get a mop and wash under the cover and top of the slide. DW also cleans the slide top when the slides are pulled in. Would I have them again - absolutely.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
On our 3250TS the fabric is black. Really looks good with the Platinum color on the exterior!!!!!

Archie
I bet that does look sharp!

While we're on the subject of toppers, the other thing you can add to your large slide window is an awning for it. It really helps cut down the direct sunlight coming into the rig. Our site faces due west and in the afternoon, we were getting cooked. No more.

View attachment 11878

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Having to clean snow and ice off one 12" slide (NT21FBS), not too bad. Having to clean snow and ice off three king sized slides + a fourth (ER34QSRL), NOT FUN!! Will definitely be considering slide toppers since we like to head towards the snow to go skiing.

TT

aquiring signal

If you go anywhere windy, forget slide toppers I say. We have them on our current rig. I hate them. Our next rig will NOT have them. When it is windy (like on the beach in So Cal or ANYWHERE in Kansas) they flap like you would not believe. I have considered all the bungy or inflatable ball solutions people have mentioned, but I think the BEST idea is to avoid them. The fact that we paid extra for them adds insult to injury. If I miss them for any reason (but I very much doubt that) I will at that point add them to the new coach. My wife is hesitant to go without them, but I know she will appreciate getting away from the noise.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Slide out awnings are great in some ways but are noisy in the wind. You have to make supports to keep the wind from making a lot of noise.

Right now I'm sitting in a 50+ mph cross wind in the desert.(Gulp!) We are really rockin' and rollin'!
The good news is, I have not heard my slide toppers make any noise. Maybe I should go out and make sure they are still there.
Okay, all is well. They are still there, but no noise!
Maybe, for those who say they are noisy, they are not tight enough?