Slide wheels cause dents in vinyl floor.

rboehlke

We have had our Bighorn 3585 for about 10 months and love it. Before the warranty runs out though, I am worried about a dent that is in the vinyl floor that is where the wheel from the slide rests when the slides are in. I noticed this after our first long trip last summer and it is just getting deeper with each trip. Our dealer acted like this is what slides do. Is this the nature of the beast with slides or something we should object to stronger?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
We have a 2011, 3585RL. So far I have bounced it down the highway on about 8,000 miles of roads. I was just on my hands and knees looking for dents. I didn't find any dents, but I did see one small mark that is only visable with my face 12" from the floor. I will say that after travel I see some slight dents but they always dissapear.
I don't know how bad your dents are, but I do know that there is no way to avoid some denting. After all, the weight of the slide, sitting on the rollers is resting on a compressable surface.
Oh, I used to live on "Boehlke Ave."

Peace
Dave

rboehlke

We have only 3,000 miles on ours, so already I am jealous. Our main concern is whether the dent could get bad enough to cut through the floor. Unfortunately it is right in front of you when you enter, but it does take the light to be shining right to see it. If the Boehlke Ave you lived on was in Milwaukee, that 3 block stretch was family homestead a 100 years ago.

ChopperBill

One roller on one slide looked to be really putting the pressure on the carpet. Looked as if it would eventually cut through it. I got a scrap piece of Lexie from Lowes that was about 12"X48". The clerk split into two 6x48 pieces and only charged me $2 for all. I put the lexon under that roller when I bring the slide in and now you cant even tell where it was sitting when you bring the slide out.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
One roller on one slide looked to be really putting the pressure on the carpet. Looked as if it would eventually cut through it. I got a scrap piece of Lexie from Lowes that was about 12"X48". The clerk split into two 6x48 pieces and only charged me $2 for all. I put the lexon under that roller when I bring the slide in and now you cant even tell where it was sitting when you bring the slide out.

I did the same thing in our kitchen with some scrap paneling. Seems to help

btmauser

We had the same problem. Our dealer replaced the vinyl and absolutely butchered it. The dents are back and are not going anywhere. We were worried that there would be a future problem with the slide and asked Heartland for an additional warranty on that slide. They refused. When you talk to people at the factory about this problem, some say they are aware of it and others act like its the first time they've heard about it. If I had to do it again, we would NOT replace the vinyl. It is now a mess and there is nothing I can do about it.

We had the very same problem......our vinyl was replace and slide adjusted prior to the expiration of our warranty. That was in Dec. 2010........since being replaced rig has been in storage so I'm not sure if the slide will do the same thing with the new vinyl. Heartland was very nice to work with.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Is it the kitchen slide where it comes in over the kitchen floor, that is causing the problems you are talking about?
Thanks, Trace.

Last edited:

codycarver

Trace, since we have the same coach I'll try to help. While on your hands and knees have someone bring your kitchen slide in, looking under the bottom trim you will see the rollers. with the slide in the closed position if you have indents you will find them under those rollers. I first noticed my indents last summer after setting up. After a couple hours they were hardly noticeable. I put paneling under the rollers for storage this winter just in case. I opened up our coach yesterday and I didn't notice the dents. So I think if this happens get some thin material to use as guards. It does seem to help.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Trace, since we have the same coach I'll try to help. While on your hands and knees have someone bring your kitchen slide in, looking under the bottom trim you will see the rollers. with the slide in the closed position if you have indents you will find them under those rollers. I first noticed my indents last summer after setting up. After a couple hours they were hardly noticeable. I put paneling under the rollers for storage this winter just in case. I opened up our coach yesterday and I didn't notice the dents. So I think if this happens get some thin material to use as guards. It does seem to help.

Dave, Thanks. I think I know now what you are talking about. So you are saying the rollers bang on the floor when you are bouncing down the road.

codycarver

I don't know if it's bouncing or just the weight of the slide sitting on the vinyl but I'm planning on making some nice looking guards instead of the scraps I have been using.