so impressed with new gateway!!!

1_oldgoat

Dan, no on antifreeze into the fresh tank, i use the pickup line off of the pump and a five gallon bucket with 3 gallons of antifreeze in it to pump through the system, when i flush the lines i start by hooking a hose up to the fresh water inlet for city water and run avery faucet until clear water runs out, i fill the fresh tank and then start flushing the pump and lines again but for some reason it seems to take several tanks of water to get all of the antifreeze out of the system, or at least the smell and taste, i don't open the water heater bypass until i am sure my lines are cleared either. I do add chlorine into the fresh tank but as i said only a couple cups for a full tank, the chlorine seems to flush easier or the smell and taste after flushing one tank through the entire system.

1_oldgoat

Mike, i have an apointment next thursday to drop the rv off at the dealership, i was told they have sold over a hundred units the last couple of weeks, so they are busy. I guess i spoke to soon about the black tank valve sealing, i checked again yesterday and my drain was full of blue water so still a slow leak in the valve somewhere. Kind of bummed i thought i had it figured out.
I don't think it will take to long to get the rv back, only a few parts needed and the rest of things are pretty basic repairs. I could do some myself but since its warrenty and i have to take it in anyway i'll let the pros do the repairs. On my shelve above the washer dryer prep i want to add a couple more supports and glue and screw it back together instead of using staples like the factory used, it will be alot stronger if it can be set back up that way.
I'll let you know what they find with the tank valve. Glad to hear yours is back to 100% and ready to go, safe travles and maybe see you on the road one day.
Marcus Shelli and pretty boy Floyd
I believe there is a rally in May close by, I need to see when and where for sure but believe its in Yellowstone Park so a couple hour drive from here, as close as the park is to us its been years since i have been through there so if the dates are good for us we will be there, our grand daughter has a birthday in May as well and we never miss it so hopeing the rally is before or after that.

GrumpyOneandTwo

Hey Marcus,

Your black tank leak sounds like mine.They only had to replace the gasket. I figured they would have to replace the gate valve. But I bought it home after camping for a few days and when I opened the termination cap a thimbleful of water was all that came out. Then yesterday I opened it and not a drop came out!!!! YAY!!!!!!!....here's hoping yours will be that simple!!!!

Have you seen the pictures of my Gateway? If not go to the Gateway forum and look for the Gateway photo's thread. Mine looks a lot like yours!!!!

I'm going to my first Heartland rally in Gulf Shores, Al. the end of April...looking forward to it!!! If you're not busy that weekend drive on down!!!!!(LOL)...
Take care,
Mike

1_oldgoat

Mike i wish we could head that way, i was just looking at a RV park on Whidby Naval Air Station and trying to make reservations for the first week of April, might stay longer if spaces are available. As a 100% disabled veteran, military retiree, still on active duty or DOD employee some bases have R V parks available that allow us to use, i have never stayed at one yet but plan on it now i know about them. I looked at bases in Nevada, California, and Arizona this past winter but they are booked out up to a year in advance so gave up on that idea!! Not sure they are all the same as far as rules go but Whidby allows up to two guest spots as well so kind of cool if friends or family are traveling along.
Let me know how the rally goes, i am waiting to hear back from my daughter in law to see when she is having the grand daughters birthday party this May, the rally in West Yellowstone is the weekend of the 24th-26th so we want to attend but can't register without knowing when party is going to be. Our grandsons birthday is the end of March so since we will b in washington thought we would drive over to the other side of the state to visit Whidby and hang out on the beach for a week or two.
I'll let you know what the dealership finds with the tank valves.
Marcus

1_oldgoat

Sorry all, i guess i wasn't finished with this post!! I had a question and am sure somebody out there has installed a set of JT's strong arm stabilizers on thier fifth wheel and was wondering how they worked for you, i am taking the new Gateway into the dealership next week for a little warrenty work and thought i might buy the stabilizers if they work. I was going to buy a set of sissor jacks and install them by the axles but if the strong arms work may hold off and use them instead or with sissor jacks if there is still any movement. Don't get me wrong, there is just a little movement now but would like none or as little as i can get.
Thanks in advance for any advise or opinions.
Marcus Shelli and pretty boy floyd

Pizzaguy

I had a set of JT's on one of my previous campers and they are awesome. Best money you can spend to get it rock solid. We have the 6 point Level-Up now and it is not as solid as the one we had without level up but had JT's. I thinking of adding some electric stab jacks in the rear to see if that would help.

1_oldgoat

Pizzaguy, thanks for the information, i plan on buying a set next week, can't hurt for the money, tthey look nice on the u-tube video from thier website. Hopeing to get black so they match the trim on the Gateway but if i can't get black may take them into get powder coated. They look straight fwd for installation and stay attached so no need to pack up and store, that was one of the reasons i was drawn to them. If they work as well as your rv did i may get away without a set of center sissor jacks. Thanks again for the information, i appreciate it very much.
Marcus

1_oldgoat

Just did a little more research on the stabalizer jacks and the JT's are made by Lippert so should be an excellent product.
Also, i was going to tell Martha about my water tank on a little pop up tent trailer we bought new in '05, i think we had our Layton bumper pull at the time but my wife didn't want me using it for hunting or fishing outings, so i bought the smallest, least accessorized unit i could find, it has a sink, stove and heater for comforts, i can hook up to city water but where i have used it there are no hookups so i drag a generator alonv to keep the battery charged up and extra water jugs, anyway, i took it out last spring for bear hunting for a week, brought it home and it sat for 4 months or so before i used it again for a fishing weekend, when i pulled the water jug out to fill it i was shocked to see how much mold had grown in the tank and pickup hose, everything was green, i ended up replacing the sink hand pump and pick up line and cleaned the tank with chlorinated water. Tbats why i mentioned the fresh water tank is a perfect enviroment for molds to grow when it gets warm. That "skanky" smell you mentioned that you get with your water system is more than likley mold. Just one more reason to flush the fresh water tank with chlorinated water after winterizing and at least once during the summer, as i said in my previous post it may or may not be necessary but it is something inhave gotten into a habbit doing.
I still have my pop up tent trailer and use it a few times a year, it looks new inside still and serves its purpose very well, but i was wondering if Heartland has a subsidary company that makes a pickup camper and if so what brand?? I am thinking about a fishing boat and would like to tow a boat to some of the bigger lakes around the country for fishing outings, i have a 12 foot aluminum boat i set on top of the pop up but would like a bigger boat and not have to take two trips towing the.pop up and then the boat.
Just had to mention the water tank and mold in a short amount of time and see if Heartland makes a pickup camper.
Thanks for any information in advance.
Marcus Shelli and pretty boy Floyd

kernst

I had a question and am sure somebody out there has installed a set of JT's strong arm stabilizers on thier fifth wheel and was wondering how they worked for you

I installed a set of JT Strong arm stabilizers on the front landing gear of our Gateway 3650BH. They made a world of difference, completely worth the $$$. I did not install the two that were included for the rear stabilizers, as I wasn't sure I would need them. I have since decide that I do need them to tighten up (hopefully) a little side to side motion back there. Prior to the JT's, the front of the trailer would wobble side to side quite easily when up in the bedroom, the JT's fixed that issue almost completely. The next warm weekend we have I plan on installing the rear bars.

1_oldgoat

Kernst, thanks for the information, i have an appointment tomorrow to take the fw in for warrenty work and planned on buying a set, what did you end up paying for the set just out of curiosity, saw camping world has them for 280.00
Thanks again
Marcus

1_oldgoat

Mike, i took the fw in for warrenty work, checked on jt jack stabalizers while there, they want 320.00 for a set so i am going to order online, not sure which kit to order since i didn't think to measure front landing gear for center to center measurement, they have over or under 58 inchs, can you check your rv for me real quick if you get a chance. Thanks
Marcus

1_oldgoat

Mike thanks very much kind sir, i thought it had to be close to 5 feet, i appreciate you taking time to go measure that for me. I am placing an order now, we did get a gift certificate from the dealership when we bought the gateway but i hate to use it on the jack stabalizers when i can get them shipped to my door and save 50 bucks, think i'll use certificate for something the wife wants. I will let you know if the jt's help with movement as much as they say, feels like its more bounce than side to side or front to back movement under normal circumstances but can feel the other movement in high winds, so thats more than likley tires and suspension i am feeling and i do not think these will ure that so plaan on a set of sissor jacks by axles as well.
Thanks again, how was the rally??
Marcus

GrumpyOneandTwo

You are welcome. Let me know for sure. If they work for you I might want some!!! I use a king pin stabilizer and also have one of the universal type stabilizers I usually put under the frame near the door.

The rally won't be till the last weekend in April....you have plenty of time to make it to Alabama!!!!!

Take care,
Mike

1_oldgoat

Mike, that would be a fun trip but we are going back to Spokane the end of this month and was planning on heading to whidby island from there for a week or two so the first week or two of April are used up, then May back to Spokane for grand babies birthday and from there to west yellowstone for the Wyoming chapter rally if things work out. March, April and May are pretty full, after your rally plan on a trip to gods country and tour the park with us!! I haven't been through yellowstone for years and its a shame because its only an hr and a half drive to the gates.
I will let you know if these jt's work as well as the reviews say they do. Thanks again.
Marcus

GrumpyOneandTwo

I know what you mean about a full calendar!!!!! We sure would like to make it to Yellowstone. All the trips we made to Twin while our son lived there and never made it!....We'll have to see what early fall brings!

Mike

1_oldgoat

Mike, thats right, i forgot you almost moved here, i was just sitting here thinking and i have never been through Alabama, been close several times but never stepped foot into the state. I used to race on the AMA pro circuit and we were all over the country but for some reason there were never any races there, states all around you but never there. The wife and i were dating back then and she went to a few races with me and we were talking about following the season one year just for fun, most of the schedule is that side of the country, anyway we haven't done it yet, every year something comes up and we only make west coast races anymore, There are two big races in Missouri every year, i am thinking next year we will hit those at least, depending on the AMA and how goofy they make the schedule we might hit a few more while over that way. Was alot of fun back in the day, it was nice to be able to see alot of the country and now there are a ffew places we would like to go back to.
Marcus

GrumpyOneandTwo

Wow, you raced bikes??????? I have never been to a live race but watched them on TV. From what I can see is the riders are completely certifiable!!!!!!!!!! Oh, sorry...I didn't mean you.......lol....Do you have to be brave or crazy or both????? just kidding. I bet you had a blast seeing the country, riding fast and being paid to do it!!!!!

I just checked their schedule and I see they will be in Birmingham in June! Isn't that a coincidence!

Mike