So It Begins....

CMSGT98

The wife and I went and picked up the Big Horn yesterday. We had our walk through and took video and notes to make sure we didn't forget anything. The fresh water tank had been filled 3/4 to check the plumbing and everything. We had about a 70 mile ride back home with no issues. We pulled into an empty parking lot for me to practice manuevering this big boy and as soon as we stopped and got out I noticed water leaking from the underbelly of the unit. It was dripping from the center of the unit from a small hole/tear in the underbelly near the blue fresh water release valve and on each side of the unit down the stabilizer bar and right about the sewer value.

We checked the kitchen sink area, fridge, and bathroom area and everything is completely dry.

As the unit was stopped the leaking slowed and then stopped. As I moved the unit around the parking lot and stopped and started the leaking began again. To me it seems that the leak somewhere around the fresh water tank. I went ahead and drained the water tank.

For those of you that have got under the unit and done work...how much damage would a leak as described cause to the unit itself? Would the underbelly need to be replaced? Before I take the unit back to the dealer to fix I want to spend a weekend close to the house and get everything hooked up and see if there's anything else that may need fixed or adjusted.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!!

Tim

Garypowell

Re: So It Begins....(

The gauges are notoriously bad. Maybe the tank was full and running out the overflow line....which should be visible. But maybe left up in underbelly. I'd give it some time to see.

DougS

Doug S

Sounds like overflow for fresh water tank. When we pulled into our driveway from dealer we had a leak from over flow which stopped when level. You might want to let water out of the tank and only travel with enough to flush a couple of times unless you plan to over night in a parking lot.

CMSGT98

Is the overflow inside the underbelly? I would have thought any overflow would be on the outside so as not to get the underpinning wet.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way...the ( in the thread title was an accident...I was going to insert a parenthesis in the body of the text but it got lost and half of it wound up on the title. Still real excited to be camping again!!! ;)

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Did you drive in any rain? Was the unit recently delivered to the dealership, driven in rain? Road water can potentially get into the underbelly around the running gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMSGT98

No rain TravelTiger...it had been at the dealership for at least a month before we brought it home.

danemayer

Hi Tim,

You have the Anderson 4-way Valve in the Universal Docking Center. When filling the fresh tank, because the water faucet brings in water at around 40 psi, there are overflow tubes coming out of the fresh tank. There should be one on each side, near the top rear corner of the tank. Those tubes are routed through the frame on each side and may take a turn toward the front, running along the frame. If you look near your entry steps, you'll probably see a Pex line that terminates in a 90 degree fitting.

That's where overflow from the fresh tank is supposed to exit. It's possible however that the overflows may not have been routed through the frame, in which case the overflow will collect in the underbelly as you described.

So I would suggest looking on both sides for the overflows. Then you might fill the fresh tank to see if both are working. You might have to raise one side or the other of the trailer to get a good test.

If either is not exposed outside, or doesn't overflow, you may have a problem with the connection at the tank. It's also possible, although rare, that the fill tube could have a leak where it goes into the tank.

The only thing that might be damaged by clean water would be fiberglas insulation, if you even have that in the underbelly. You may just have radiant barrier which would not be damaged.

dlw930

Hi Tim,

You have the Anderson 4-way Valve in the Universal Docking Center. When filling the fresh tank, because the water faucet brings in water at around 40 psi, there are overflow tubes coming out of the fresh tank. There should be one on each side, near the top rear corner of the tank. Those tubes are routed through the frame on each side and may take a turn toward the front, running along the frame. If you look near your entry steps, you'll probably see a Pex line that terminates in a 90 degree fitting.

That's where overflow from the fresh tank is supposed to exit. It's possible however that the overflows may not have been routed through the frame, in which case the overflow will collect in the underbelly as you described.

So I would suggest looking on both sides for the overflows. Then you might fill the fresh tank to see if both are working. You might have to raise one side or the other of the trailer to get a good test.

If either is not exposed outside, or doesn't overflow, you may have a problem with the connection at the tank. It's also possible, although rare, that the fill tube could have a leak where it goes into the tank.

The only thing that might be damaged by clean water would be fiberglas insulation, if you even have that in the underbelly. You may just have radiant barrier which would not be damaged.

I haven't had any leak or overflow issues with the fresh tank, but a couple weeks ago at the OK rally, I was crawling under my slides and discovered the two PEX elbows protruding from the from just behind the rear tires. I asked a few of the more seasoned Heartlanders there (no names to protect the guilty) if they knew what the open elbows were, but none knew. Now I know! Thanks Dan!

CMSGT98

Well I found the two overflow values and both are on the outside of the underbelly. So that's not where the leaking is coming from. I guess the only way to find it is to take off the underpinning and see what's going on. I'm going to take it out for an overnighter and hook it up to city water and see if I'm still getting a leak.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

What a few of us have done....is...find all the low spots in the (coroplast) underbelly. Then with a 1/4" drill bit, drill a VERY SHALLOW hole in the coroplast. Best to put a piece of rubber hose on the drill bit. Ya don't want to bore a hole in a holding tank. Even if you have a leak, the water will drain out and not stay trapped inside.

mayflower

CMSGT98: Our Bighorn did the very same thing when we brought it home from the dealer. Water leaking from the driver side underbelly. It was loose bolts around gray valve leaking. Tightened the bolts and reinstalled that portion of underbelly and was good to go. No problem since.

mlpeloquin

Could be loose bolts or a leaking connection. Easy fix. That being said, when we purchase out Big horn our friends purchased a Big Country. He drove with a full tank of fresh water. When he got home water came out of the under belly. He took it in for someone to look at. Turns out not one, but two tanks were cracked. Heartland bent over backwards to get him the replacement tanks. It was the start of the Christmas break at the factory. The water will sit on top of the insulation, (plastic so no water damage), which is on top of the coroplast. Check by going under and pressing on the coroplast. It should have a dip. When pushing against it it will feel very heavy. Do as Bob advised and use a drill to open a hole in it. I had to do this when my gray water valve seals failed and it leaked gray water into the under belly. I did not user an electric drill, but just my hands. It will go through easy. If it is anything but fresh water, use a bucket and the back side of the drill will act as a stopper until the bucket is emptied.