Sometimes Chicken, Sometimes Feathers

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
First of all thank you everyone for all of your thoughts and prayers. They are appreciated and the prayers are heard.
Now for an up date.

Jan 21, 2010 I had surgery following 28 radiation and Chemo treatments. The surgery was performed at M.D.Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Tx. An Ivor-Lewis Esophogetomy was performed, where most of the Esophagus, most of the stomach and 25 lymph nodes were removed. The remaining piece of the Esopphagus and Stomach were repositioned and reattached. So now my stomach is in my upper chest area running vertically. The Cancerous tumor was also removed. Following the surgery I spent a week in the hospital and then was released for the recovery. The recovery went well except I developed a stricture (narrowing of the Esophagus) due to a buildup of scar tissue at the area where the Esophagus and Stomach were re-attached. The stricture causes food and liquids to get 'stuck' in the Esophagus. Since the surgery I have undergone 6 'dialations' where an Endoscope is inserted into the Esophagus and a 'balloon' attached to the Endoscope is inflated to open the Esophagus. I had the last Dialation in August and so far so good.

In August of 2010 I went for a follow-up Pet Scan and a swollen Lymph Node in the upper chest/lower neck area was found. A biopsy was done and the Node was found to have Cancer cells in them. I again began 28 Radiation and Chemo treatments which I completed on November 1st of 2010. On Jan 11,2011 another Pet Scan was done to check the results of the treatment. I was told by my Radiation Oncologist and the Chemo Oncologist yesterday 1-12-2011 the treatment was successful and it appears to have eleminated the remaining Cancer. So at the present time it appears I am Cancer free. Praise be to my Lord God.

I will have to return every 3 months for the next 2 years for follow-up checkups, but the prognosis is good. Looking at the bright side of this whole ordeal - well I have lost 85 pounds (I don't recommend that weight loss program) and I feel much better. I have a greater appreciation of life and a stronger faith in my Lord. Again I personally know the power of prayer and want each of us "Heartlanders" to raise up our voices in prayer for the healing of any and all who need it. I have learned much about the goodness of the human spirit and our medical profession. I could not have had a successful outcome without my wife who is the love of my life and caregiver Sheila. I have made many new friends who share my experience with this dreaded disease. Please support the effort to eradicate Cancer.

Thanks again and we shall see many of y'all in Goshen at the Rally.

Please keep us updated.... of course this is the right place to share this news, with friends who care and can pray with great expectation. Those endos are never fun, and sugery will be a challenge... but, one step at a time... one day at a time... You are in our prayers, on our hearts.... Godspeed

Jim... I just realized that I posted to an old notation.. was actually relieved to find out this was of the past.... at any rate, hope all is going well... Godspeed

jimtoo

Great news Jim,,,,our prayers are with you.

Been there and done that... except mine was on the outlet end,,, not the intake end like yours. I am a 15 year survivor. So I need to recommend that everyone get the pictures taken of your lower end... and you know what I mean... GET A COLONOSCOPY!!! It is painless and can save your life. It is not fun... but if you have never had it done,,, who knows... you might like it..:)

Jim M

jnbhobe

Glad to see things are working out for you Jim. We will be looking forward to seeing you two in Goshen.

jmgratz

FYI - I know many of you have REFLUX. If so get it checked out by a doctor. That can lead to Barrett's Esophagus and Esophageal Cancer. Don't put it off. Reflux is your body telling you something is screwed up.

jmgratz

Update -

My three month checkup was on Monday the 25th. I met with my Oncologist after all the tests. He told me everything looked good and there was no indication of Cancer reoccurance. He will see me again in another 3 months. Thank you everyone for your prayers. God is good. Prayer does work.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Way to go Jim! We're glad to hear everything is going well. Will we be seeing you in Goshen this year? Hope So!

jmgratz

Ray,
We were planning to go to Goshen but the job we are working and finances got in the way. Darn fuel prices! So we had to cancel. Hope to see you "on the road" We plan on going to the October Texas Rally in Canton in October.

bluebirdsnfur

Just signed up for the Goshen Rally and would have given you the HUG in person but I see you guys won't be there. So I owe ya one! Take care and be good!