Still at Springfield.

traveler44

We are still at Springfield Mo. and we had a mini blizzard today while we were helping our Son and D.I.L. move from a duplex to a house. It made getting out of the old F350 kind of hazardous because the running boards froze up. When we got back to the rv park I had to open the side storage doors on the bighorn to get the bighorn set up for the 12*-14* temps. predicted for tonight. The doors were stuck in the ice at the bottom of the doors and on the ledge under them. I'm thinking about trying to coat the door bottoms and that ledge with something to prevent the ice from sticking to them because when it rains or snows and freezes I'm afraid the doors will freeze shut and I don't want to spend a lot of time thawing them with a hairdryer. The weatherman said earlier that we had a quick freeze today. I plugged in the "behind the basement wall heater" and the truck engine heater for the night and have the water line heated all the time that the thermostat on the heat tape calls for it. There is another bighorn a couple of spaces over but we have been too busy to socialize, maybe we will meet them at the superbowl party Sunday night. Supposed to be free KOA chicken and pizza. Tom

olcoon

Tom, before I retired I found that coating the rubber seal around the door on my patrol car with Armor All stopped the door from freezing, you might try that.

Sent you another PM, hope that one makes it!

Roy

traveler44

Thanks! Roy, I was thinking some kind of a wax might help keep the ice from sticking. Yes, I got the second pm- the first one must be floating around in cyberspace with some I have tried to send before. Tom

hoefler

I have used spray silicone with great success. I have even coated the wiper blades and holders to prevent ice build up.

traveler44

I woke up at 5:00 AM and the temperature was down to 31* in the UDC so I checked to see how cold it got this morning. It was 9* and heading down to 7*. I let the water run in the kitchen sink- a nice trickle and opened the grey water valve. About 10:00 AM a blast of water came out of the faucet and I found out that I must have opened up the faucet about half way. Looks like we were very close to freezing up this morning. Now the lows at night aren't supposed to be below 20* for a while. I guess we didn't get by completely, the grey tank No.1 valve is froze shut so I took a hair dryer out and shot warm air around the handle and it still won't budge. We will probably have to wait until the temps. get above freezing for a while to drain the shower water. Tom

Last edited:

danemayer

the grey tank No.1 valve is froze shut so I took a hair dryer out and shot warm air around the handle and it still won't budge.
The freeze is at the other end of the cable - at the valve. If you drop just the corner of the front section of coroplast near the sewer outlet, you should be able to warm the gray #1 valve assembly with your hair dryer. Or you can wait for temps to get into the mid 30s.

traveler44

Thanks Dan, It got up into the 30s for awhile today and when we got back to our site I tried opening the valve and it opened slicker than a whistle. So everything is good again. Tom

hoefler

I would set there with both greys open since your hooked up to sewer. We have been living in our Landmark since the last week of July, and we are only an hour south of you in Shell Knob. We have never had any problem with freezing the sewer hose yet, and the water has been running non stop for some time since the temps dropped.

danemayer

If you have tank heating pads or Yeti option, don't run with the gray valves open. There needs to be some water in the bottom of the tanks when the heating pads are on, or you can damage the tanks and pads. I have firsthand experience at this.