Suspension maintenance

jayc

Legendary Member
Yep, first time and hopefully the last for the suspension. With proper tools it's not too hard. It was much more difficult here with an unlevel site and millions of grassburrs!

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yep, first time and hopefully the last for the suspension. With proper tools it's not too hard. It was much more difficult here with an unlevel site and millions of grassburrs!

Just trying to decide when I need to do this maintenance. You have towed more miles than I have. How did your old parts look. Can you post a pic or two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MFordWells

Going to be doing the same thing in a few weeks. I have a 2011 Bighorn 3585RL just got it from original owner who put maybe 5,000 miles on it. The equalizers and shocks looking pretty nasty figure they are about due. Wondering on your replacement did you use the EZ-Flex K71-653 kit? Also, and suggestions on the shocks or just auto-parts match-em? Finally, did you also replace spring and shackle bushings, and if so use something like Never-Fail perm. lubricated bushings? Thanks for any suggestions or pointers you have that might save me from busting a knuckle or getting the wrong stuff.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Going to be doing the same thing in a few weeks. I have a 2011 Bighorn 3585RL just got it from original owner who put maybe 5,000 miles on it. The equalizers and shocks looking pretty nasty figure they are about due. Wondering on your replacement did you use the EZ-Flex K71-653 kit? Also, and suggestions on the shocks or just auto-parts match-em? Finally, did you also replace spring and shackle bushings, and if so use something like Never-Fail perm. lubricated bushings? Thanks for any suggestions or pointers you have that might save me from busting a knuckle or getting the wrong stuff.

Likely you will need to replace the bushings. This was the kit we used.
21f990f34b63f0f5149ffa577c27ae8b.jpg

885042a39dea89efc4c0c6e91ddf19f2.jpg

Pic has neverfail, two of our bushings we removed, and a standard nylon for comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

I changed out my bolts and never lube sleeve bearing. The sleeves were ultra thin on one side and two were cracked. I replace them with the Bronze sleeve bearings. Coat the outside with never seize as well as the inside of the spring they go into. I walked mine in using a c clamp. Two of my bolts were eaten into by the hanger, but the shackles were fine. I changed them anyway. Lubed bolts seem to give a smother ride. I noticed going over speed bumps the suspension moves smoothly and is quiet.

jaeger

Yaa our unit complains a bit after being parked for a while. I just greased the hangers and hub today since I had the wheels off and switched out the tires.

caissiel

Make sure wheels are balanced. I have minimum wear on my suspension and only changed bushings to nylons after 5 years and at least 40k miles. Piece of cake using jack under the axle while trailer is supported by the frame, one side at a time. 7 of $1.00 bushings each side