The New BigHorn 3855 FL

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
WOW, we just toured the new Big Horn 3855 FL (Front Living Room) at Wilkins RV in Bath NY. The TV in the living room will Blow you away!! It looks like a comfortable model with lots of living space to lounge in. Way to go Heartland on the new floor plan. GREAT pick.

cooknsharry

Yes!!! Great layout, spacious I just purchased one and have it in my yard have everthing hooked-up, and going over every inch before the big trip?

cooknsharry

20120113_165838.jpgHUGE!! So far So good? minor water line leaks and a hydra leak that I will take in to see how my first Costomer Service visit //heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=17770&d=1328719872&thumb=1&stc=1is going to be now that I own it???

rroth2

Currently have a 2008 Big Horn 3610 RE we are trading in on a 2012 Big Horn 3855FL. Does anyone know if this front living room floorplan is new for Big Horn? We would like to hear the pros and cons before buying. Love our Big Horn and want to stick with the brand.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Rroth2, welcome to the forum. This is a great place to find and share information.
The FL is a new floor plan for Heartland.

Peace
Dave

The unit is very nice. The quality of work from the factory on the wood work and waiting for warranty parts is a hole different story. Bought it 30 days ago and still do not have.

jimtoo

The unit is very nice. The quality of work from the factory on the wood work and waiting for warranty parts is a hole different story. Bought it 30 days ago and still do not have.

Hi mtnvalley5,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I am not sure what you do not have. But if your waiting on parts ordered by your dealer, check with dealer and ask questions as to when and if no explanation, call Heartland Customer service your self.

Jim M

Funny you should say call heartland. I did do that and the customer service rep had the attitude when we get them you will get them. Wood work was not completly finished in spots, doors broke, rollers left to big indents in floor linoleum. bent door tracks, expanda foam not completly filling holes, broke skirting, graphics messed up and peeling, wall panels damaged, nail holes not filled, nails coming through trim. Dealer is doing what they can do. Heartland needs a better QA before they leave the plant.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Funny you should say call heartland. I did do that and the customer service rep had the attitude when we get them you will get them. Wood work was not completly finished in spots, doors broke, rollers left to big indents in floor linoleum. bent door tracks, expanda foam not completly filling holes, broke skirting, graphics messed up and peeling, wall panels damaged, nail holes not filled, nails coming through trim. Dealer is doing what they can do. Heartland needs a better QA before they leave the plant.

If the Heartland CSR had said that to me, I would have immediately been on the phone with someone a little higher up the chain. It has been the experience of most of us that have called in that the service is of much higher quality than that.

Thats what I thought, cannot get by the receptionist to the higher ups, keeps asking me for my state and i am back to origional person. It just baffles me that it takes 2-3 weeks to get parts and now that they have shown up they are the wrong ones. A 3855Fl fender skirt should fit a 3855 FL trailer. I can understand the different graphics but in the trucking industry a VIN # usually has a part list attached to the VIN for warranty or other part issues so they can track to the unit. The other issue are just poor QA from the factory.

MTPockets

Yes!!! Great layout, spacious I just purchased one and have it in my yard have everthing hooked-up, and going over every inch before the big trip?

We had lots of time to "go over" things on our new Big Horn too. Found that a "bunch" of nuts were loose and well below torque specs.. You may already be on top of it - just mentioning in case - safety issues too.

What I found loose and well below spec: Wheel nuts (ALL 32 were loose), Pin box bolts - (five loose & three were ready to fall out), Axle U-bolt nuts (all 16 well below spec), slide cylinder jam nuts not tightened (not even close).

Maintenence sheets say to check these and I'm glad I did.

4given

Just ordered a 2013 3855FL. I have never owned a Heartland Product and have doing some research on this forum. As in any product you will get mixed reviews, which is good. I have always owned Holiday Rambler units, so needless to say I am use to a quality product. After reading some of the posts I do have a concern about the quality of the Big Horn line. I should get my unit in the next 4 to 6 weeks. I guess I'll know then if I made a wise choice. I picked it for the floorplan. It is perfect for my needs.

jimtoo

Hi 4given,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure you will have questions and this is the place for most answers. When you go for delivery do a really good PDI.

Enjoy the forum... now the wait begins.

Jim M

4given

Thanks Jimtoo. Here's my dilemma. I ordered the camper from a dealer over 600 miles away. I know this sounds crazy,but I got a great deal. They will deliver it to me and do a walk through and inspection at my place for about the same cost as for me to go get it. If I were to find issues during delivery would I be able to take it to closest dealer only 100 miles away or would they not want nothing to do with me since I didn't purchase it there? I tried to buy locally but they didn't have a 3855 nor were they gonna be getting one.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
We had lots of time to "go over" things on our new Big Horn too. Found that a "bunch" of nuts were loose and well below torque specs.. You may already be on top of it - just mentioning in case - safety issues too.

What I found loose and well below spec: Wheel nuts (ALL 32 were loose), Pin box bolts - (five loose & three were ready to fall out), Axle U-bolt nuts (all 16 well below spec), slide cylinder jam nuts not tightened (not even close).

Maintenence sheets say to check these and I'm glad I did.

Things the dealer should have checked before releasing it to you - mine did, and they reminded me to periodically check those items, especially after the first couple of days towing, because they can (and often will) get loose from road vibrations, etc.

phix

Thanks Jimtoo. Here's my dilemma. I ordered the camper from a dealer over 600 miles away. I know this sounds crazy,but I got a great deal. They will deliver it to me and do a walk through and inspection at my place for about the same cost as for me to go get it. If I were to find issues during delivery would I be able to take it to closest dealer only 100 miles away or would they not want nothing to do with me since I didn't purchase it there? I tried to buy locally but they didn't have a 3855 nor were they gonna be getting one.

We picked up our Bighorn last May and have had a number of things to take care of. We have never taken it back to the dealer that sold it and everyone is happy to do business with us. I think all makers have some QA issues and each unit that is delivered can have its own issues. Make sure you get ALL of your concerns on paper from the delivering dealer and what they are going to do to get them fixed. We have had 2 issues that Heartland denied: stainless steel sink rusting and top of cabinet doors under sinks have varnish issues due to moisture. I showed these to the dealer when I picked up, but didn't get it in writing. Now when I take it to other RV Service centers, Heartland tells me to take it up with the delivering dealer. But I haven't because I did not get it in writing and they are not going to remember the things we discussed last May.

BUT, we love our BigHorn!

tcfake613

We picked up our Bighorn 3685RL about a month ago. We also drove a long way to pick it up. I'm happy to report we had almost no issues. I checked torque on wheel nuts and many other places. Not one out of spec. We spent 5 hours (not a typo) inspecting the unit because I wanted everything taken care of before I left the dealer. I removed the panel that covers the universal docking center and had the dealer pressure test everything while I watched. I walked the roof and inspected for holes, scratches and debris. I checked all trim and moulding. Checked operation of everything.

When we made the drive, we intended on spending two nights near the dealer so they would have time to fix everything. We didn't need to stay the second night. Everything was fixed the first day and it was only a few minor adjustments.

The only thing I wasn't really happy with was the finish of the nail hole filling. We cleaned all of our wood work and I spent a couple of hours with wood filler, some stain and a brown magic marker covering up some blemishes. Most of the RVs I purchased had this same issue. A buddy of mine purchased a Mobile Suites and his trim work was one of the worst I've seen.

Everything looks great now!

why do we all spend a boat load of money on upper end units and not expect perfection. if you can see the small stuff it makes you wonder what you cannot see. if the manufacturer thinks everything is ok they have no need to change procedure.