Third axle - 2012 4014

sdwelling

Just came back from a 2 week journey through the Northeast and noticed my rear 2 tires (3 axles) on the driver's side are much closer together than those on the opposite side. Can't get an appointment at the dealer until the end of August so I took the unit to a shop very close this morning. Has anyone else seen this? I recall reading recently about loose shackle fasteners. Of course, customer service is closed on Saturday, so they for an email.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

jnbhobe

Some thing is loose or broke or worn out. I would think any good auto or truck shop should be able to fix it for you.

AAdams

The axle has more than likely slipped and sheared the bolt that runs through the leaf springs. It happened on our old RW390 twice. It takes about an hour to fix ( with the right bolt ). There is a hole that lines up the leaf springs and the head of the bolt rest in a hole in the bracket that your leaf springs ride on. If the shackles are loose, or the axle takes a hard enough hit it shears the head of the bolt off in to the bracket. To fix, lift the side up, remove the tire. Put a jack under the axle ( by the U bolts ) and remove the U bolts. Lower the axle so you can remove the sheared head of the bolt. Replace bolt ( Use grade 8 ) Note: the hole is round, you may need to file the head slightly to fit in to the hole. Replace U bolts and torque to (If I remember right) to 80 ft-lbs, replace tire and lower unit ( after removing jack ). I had a mobile service do it. GS paid the call out. Cost me $230. We were in the middle of a trip and stranded at a rest stop. My axle looked like this.. As you can see it slid pretty far and is not near the center of the lower leaf spring.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 2014-04-22 10.28.40.jpg
    2014-04-22 10.28.40.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 151

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Do you have TowMax tires? It could be the belts breaking inside the tire, causing the tire to "expand", making the tires look closer together. Look closely at the sidewall and the pattern that wraps around to the tread surface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sdwelling

Do you have TowMax tires? It could be the belts breaking inside the tire, causing the tire to "expand", making the tires look closer together. Look closely at the sidewall and the pattern that wraps around to the tread surface.

That is certainly not something I would have caught! Been looking at replacing these tires soon - according to my trip computer, I have almost 6000 miles on them.

sdwelling

The axle has more than likely slipped and sheared the bolt that runs through the leaf springs. It happened on our old RW390 twice. It takes about an hour to fix ( with the right bolt ). There is a hole that lines up the leaf springs and the head of the bolt rest in a hole in the bracket that your leaf springs ride on. If the shackles are loose, or the axle takes a hard enough hit it shears the head of the bolt off in to the bracket. To fix, lift the side up, remove the tire. Put a jack under the axle ( by the U bolts ) and remove the U bolts. Lower the axle so you can remove the sheared head of the bolt. Replace bolt ( Use grade 8 ) Note: the hole is round, you may need to file the head slightly to fit in to the hole. Replace U bolts and torque to (If I remember right) to 80 ft-lbs, replace tire and lower unit ( after removing jack ). I had a mobile service do it. GS paid the call out. Cost me $230. We were in the middle of a trip and stranded at a rest stop. My axle looked like this.. As you can see it slid pretty far and is not near the center of the lower leaf spring.
attachment.php
I was fortunate enough to be close to a motorcoach shop and it's there now. Had a good talk with the owner Saturday AM and will stop-by tomorrow to share this. He was concerned since he's seen bent and broken axles on large 5ers before.

sdwelling

The issue is the tires! Amazing. Axles all in the right place and all hardware is secure.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Sorry to say you just joined the Blowmax club, but as a junior member, not a "full blown" member. ;) glad you caught them in time!!!