Very disappointed in Heartland!

tljack

I have my 2014 Bighorn 3570 RS at the dealer getting it's furnace repaired for the 3rd time in 11 mo. Additionally because it has over 11,000 miles on it, I asked them to repack the wheel bearings.

Got a call today telling me that a shock absorber is broken and the cost to repair would be $159.95! The one shock will be $90.00!! I bought the unit at the end of June 2013. The dealer tells me this is not covered by the warranty!

This tells me that the shocks must be junk like the crap tires they put on my unit. This is a very expensive unit and we thought were buying quality but this seems to not be the case. This coach has never been off blacktop.

This is my 2nd Heartland and my last. I will not support a business that will not stand behind what they make.

beardedone

Beardedone
You probably don't need the shocks anyway. Lots of people have just quit using them because they are at a ridiculous angle and ineffective.

danemayer

Have you talked to Heartland directly about covering the shock under warranty? You can call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

Also, when a dealer has to repair the same item three times in a year, I have to wonder if they ever fixed it. While you're on the phone with Heartland, you might ask about independent servicers in your area.

caissiel

Don' t repllace the shock while installed in the original location.
The shocks are cheaper then that.
I just replaced my 4 shocks on the BC with shocks of 80s chrysler rear wheel drive cars front shocks. Reily auto supply still stock them.
Camper world can order some for RVs same as the broken one. But all 4 shocks will either break or leak in no time due to the installation method.
I relocated mine the first year after realizing the shock shafts were all bend.
The supports are layout for under axle spring application and on all these years the layout has not change, while most units have the springs above the axles. No wonder we are having problems with modern RVs

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

Birchwood

Replaced the rubbers on my shocks after the first year.Don't know why the rubbers failed.Two years after that a shock broke so I removed that one and the other on that axle.Drove to Florida and back with no problems but while in Florida purchased 4 new shocks off E Bay(identical to the original shocks).I think I paid $150 (4) .They are very easy to install.

Hunter11

I thought I read on one of the big RV forums about Monroe making a better shock than stock to fit trailers. I am sure they put the cheapest shock they can get on them from the factory and I would change ours out now if I could find an upgrade that would last longer and preform better.

jbeletti

I can't say why Heartland puts their shock mounts at the angle they do. But I know that Lippert now sells a shock mount kit that allows you to reposition the shocks to an angle the may be more effective. They sell shocks too.

tljack

I picked the unit up from dealer. They handed me the shock. The rubbers are shot and the shaft is bent at the bottom. The shock is tiny! Something I would expect on maybe a Smart Car. It says in big letters, "Made in China".

I have a call into Heartland.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I think your issue is with Lippert. They send the frames with the suspension already mounted to the frame to HL. "Made in China"....whats new....what isn't. As far as your heater issue....the heater is warrantied by the people that make the heater....not HL. Call them and see if you can take your BH to someone else to have it repaired properly. Any RV dealer or independent RV servicer can do the repair.

mikeandconnie

The nut on my shock backed off and bent the stud. I emailed Heartland a pitcher of it and they shipped it to my house the next week. It's got to be your dealer they where wonderful with my 2 year warranty.

Birchwood

I can't say why Heartland puts their shock mounts at the angle they do. But I know that Lippert now sells a shock mount kit that allows you to reposition the shocks to an angle the may be more effective. They sell shocks too.
Heartland RV in their brochure lists "four heavy duty shock absorbers" as a standard feature on their Landmarks.I have to trust Lippert that the shocks are necessary and installed at the correct angle.

tljack

I got my BH back. They replaced to board. I suspected this was the trouble all along.

As for the shock, I have a call into HL. I think they may have called back and I missed it. Will call again Tuesday.

caissiel

The shocks mount on our unit are for under the axle spring and shock installation.
So with the plate above the axle the angle is so flat that the studs and bushings can't last.
I repositioned the top mount and the shocks ended to damaged to last. Shocks should angle at 60deg.
I would not bother replacing shocks in the original position.
I replaced all 4 shocks with Chrysler front shocks from the 70/80's rear wheel cars. To me they are gas magnum priced well below $150.00. Total it cam to $97.00 at Reily Auto parts. They where stock at 2 stores in Arizona. All trailer outfits I went for shocks looked at my as if I was crazy putting shocks on my unit.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk