Water in underbelly

traveler44

We pulled off on the shoulder today and water dripped out from the underbelly all along the down hill side, the door side. I normally don't see water dripping from under the Bighorn. We ran through some light rain the last couple of days and I have heard of the tires slinging it up but I was wondering how much water usually gets trapped inside the underbelly and if it does do I have to worry about a mold problem? Tom

Last edited:

traveler44

I just checked and it doesn't look like it is dripping anywhere. I did notice a bulge right in the middle of the area with the drop down frame and when I push on it it feels like there is something solid up there like a brace or something sticking down. Another thing I noticed is at the back of the drop down frame area on the door side there is about a 2" square where the metal is open and I can see a lot of wireing through the hole. I think this should be covered because it probably goes right to the converter or breaker box inside. This hole is where the corners of the sheet metal are supposed to meet at the top, any ideas on how to plug this hole to keep water out?

brianharrison

Scrim tape - or Gorilla tape - or duct tape - should do the trick if the hole is normally out of sight. I would use in that order. I picked up the end of a roll of scrim tape from my RV repair place (about 10 feet) for 5 bucks.

Oh - I would expect the water is from driving in the rain. No worries and it should dry out on its own and there should not be any mold. My underbelly insulation (white) just above the chloroplast has gotten wet a couple of times and there is no mold when I pull it down every once and a while - dirt yes, mold no.

Hope this helps.
Brian

traveler44

Thanks! I will duct tape it for now because that is what I have on hand. If I get energetic I will drop some of the coroplast down and let it dry when we are planning on being in the same spot for a while. Nice to know that a mold problem is unlikely. Tom

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The best way to stop the water buildup, is to drill a small hole in the low spots in the coroplast. A 1/4 " drill bit will do it. Put a piece of rubber hose on the bit so you can only drill up about a 1/4". Dont want to bore a hole in a holding tank.