Water pump, Yeti Pkg heaters won't work and battery is not charging

Phatkd

So,...I finally got around to de-winterizing the 5'ver today and noticed a couple of issues.

1 - I filled the fresh water tank with about 20 gallons of water and tried to turn the pump on to clear the lines of antifreeze,..Nothing. (I was able to clear the lines of antifreeze using the city water "valve", but was not able to fill the hot water heater???)

2 - The Yeti package will not turn on either.

3- Battery does not seem to be charging (According to the lie-o-meter anyway)

All other functions work properly. I took down the basement wall to see if the 3 fuses that blew in the spring were once again blown,..they are fine.

I reset the reset button on the power bar in the front compartment by the hydraulic pump...still nothing.

There are no error codes on my EMS and L-1 and L-2 are both operating at 115-117.

I am a total newbie to these big units,...so any help is much appreciated.

Cheers,..Kris

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Water pump, Yeti Pckg heaters won't work and battery is not charging

Kris, do you have a battery bypass switch? And is it on?

Peace
Dave

Phatkd

Kris, do you have a battery bypass switch? And is it on?

Peace
Dave

Battery bypass switch as in the red one at the front of the coach in the battery and hydraulic area? If so then yes I do, and it it turned showing green.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired

Hey Kris,

As far as the hot water heater not filling up, did you switch the hot water by pass valve back to normal operation?

Rod Ditrich

For20hunter

Red valve in the UDC that looks like this

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1372649391347.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372649391347.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 47

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

If you don't think the charger is charging, then you should check the voltage coming out it.
First check the receptacle it is plugged into. You should see 110 - 120 volts AC.
If no voltage there, you will need to find out why.
If you do see voltage, then you will need to check the output of the converter. It should be around 13.6 volts.
If no output, then your converter has most likely suffered an early death. Might be warranty.
Keep us informed.

Peace
Dave

Phatkd

UPDATE

So the #10 fuse for the water pump/monitor panel was blown. I replaced it, and the pump works fine, and my "lie-o-meter" panel now show accurate readings on battery levels.

What is puzzling to me is that everytime I flip the switch to turn the yeti package on, it blows the water pump/monitor panel fuse however the yeti package fuse has no issues.

The upside to this is that I now know what is behind the basement wall, and not to turn on the yeti package until I have that issue looked at under warranty.

On a side note, I have managed to fill my hot water tank, thanks to for20hunter!!

For20hunter

No problem. Hopefully you didn't turn on the electric switch for the hot water heater because it literally only takes a minute with no water in the heater to burn out the electric heating element. Good news is that if you did, its a very easy and relatively inexpensive fix.

Rod Ditrich

Phatkd

No problem. Hopefully you didn't turn on the electric switch for the hot water heater because it literally only takes a minute with no water in the heater to burn out the electric heating element. Good news is that if you did, its a very easy and relatively inexpensive fix.

Rod Ditrich

The switch located behind the removable panel on the exterior of the coach? If so, then I'm afraid it is fried. When I removed the panel to look for a way to light the pilot light the switch was in the "on" position.

For20hunter

There is also the 110v water heater switch inside the coach next to the 12v (lp gas) switch. If the 110v swish inside along with the one on the back of the hot water heater were both on, then you might have a problem, but if either were off you will be fine.

Rod Ditrich

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
The switch located behind the removable panel on the exterior of the coach? If so, then I'm afraid it is fried. When I removed the panel to look for a way to light the pilot light the switch was in the "on" position.

I assume you determined that there are no pilot lights on heartland products ( other than the oven that is )

It sounds like there could be a short in one of the 12 v lines that power some part of the Yettie package since you are blowing a 12v fuse and not tripping a 110 breaker. I believe that the tank heaters and water line heaters are 12v powered ( based on the reading I did when preparing for my purchase )

Kevin

Last edited:

danemayer

phatkd,

If you tried to use the water heater by turning on the electric switch in the control panel while there was no water in the water heater, you may have burned out the heating element. Here's a link to our Water Heater Troubleshooting and Repair Guide which gives step-by-step instructions on replacing the element.

The tank heating pads with the Yeti option are usually powered by 110V AC, while the water line heat tape is powered by 12V DC. There may be relays behind the control panel to allow a 12V switch to turn on the 110V AC to the tank heating pads and water heater. If you unscrew the control panel mounting screws and pull it gently away from the wall, you may be able to see the relays. A quick inspection might find what's causing the Yeti switch to blow the pump fuse.

Phatkd

Another day spent trying to figure these issues out,..and I am no further ahead.

So,..The 12v fuse that is labeled "Water pump/monitor" keeps blowing for some reason. I went through 9 fuses trying to trouble shoot today. Even with the water pump totally disconected (at the source behind the basement wall) the fuse still keeps blowing. It is blowing now without even flipping the "yeti package" rocker switch. The outside stereo still has no power as well.

brianharrison and I spent some time trying to trouble shoot (Thanks again Brian!)..but we are stumped. We think perhaps something is wrong at the monitor panel,..but I check all the connections there 1 by 1 and nothing seems to be amiss.

Any other ideas???

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
You have a B+ wire rubbed thru or pinched somewhere in that circuit. Put a 15 amp circuit breaker in the fuse holder and stop spending money on fuses. With the circiut breaker in place, hook everything back up and start tracing wires that are visible. Leave the water pump switch ON and everything that is on that circuit. When you find the shorted wire, the pump will run or the radio or what ever is on that circuit will come and you can trace down that wire easier. If I was looking at this, I would pull out any and every component on that circiut and look for a pinched or chaffed wire, Could even be a screw ran thru a wire. Heck you could have a speaker wire pinched

Phatkd

Pull the control panel and inspect the wiring and any relays behind it.

I pulled both of the rocker switch panels and the 12v fuse panel out yesterday and inspected each wire and connection. I suspect a staple of screw has punctured a wire somewhere along the line.

Phatkd

You have a B+ wire rubbed thru or pinched somewhere in that circuit. Put a 15 amp circuit breaker in the fuse holder and stop spending money on fuses. With the circiut breaker in place, hook everything back up and start tracing wires that are visible. Leave the water pump switch ON and everything that is on that circuit. When you find the shorted wire, the pump will run or the radio or what ever is on that circuit will come and you can trace down that wire easier. If I was looking at this, I would pull out any and every component on that circiut and look for a pinched or chaffed wire, Could even be a screw ran thru a wire. Heck you could have a speaker wire pinched

I tried replacing the 10A fuse with a 15A fuse yesterday,..and it blew the 3 that I tried while I was trying to troubleshoot. I have booked it into the dealership,..warranty can take care of it now. I spent my whole weekend trying to sort it out.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys/gals! I appreciate the support we get here!

brianharrison

Put a 15 amp circuit breaker in the fuse holder and stop spending money on fuses. With the circiut breaker in place, hook everything back up and start tracing wires that are visible. Leave the water pump switch ON and everything that is on that circuit. When you find the shorted wire, the pump will run or the radio or what ever is on that circuit will come and you can trace down that wire easier. If I was looking at this, I would pull out any and every component on that circiut and look for a pinched or chaffed wire, Could even be a screw ran thru a wire. Heck you could have a speaker wire pinched

Kris - Bob is talking about something like this for a circuit breaker - can be reset while you are trouble shooting issues.

Brian