Welcome Back Light

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
My understanding is - when the door is opened, a circuit is activated that is on a digital timer supplying power to the light. The light stayss on until the timer runs down, then shuts off. Simplistic model. Someone (Danmeyer?) may have a more detailed version ;).

danemayer

The Tools/Heartland Owner's Manuals section has a 1 page description of the Welcome Back Light - attached here.

Attachments

• Welcome_Back_Light_Heartland_Feature.pdf
    94.4 KB · Views: 74

soilmovers

The light worked for awhile but now it blows fuses. Checked the bulb and wiring. Now, I wonder if it's in the door?

Berky sent me this reply:
The light bulb itself isn't enough to blow the fuse. Something is shorting to ground, either the bulb socket or the wiring to it. Could also be a short directly within the socket itself. A couple of things to try:
- Remove the fixture from the surface where it is mounted. Turn on the light with a bulb in it. Does it still blow the fuse? If not, something in the fixture is shorting to ground at the mounting location.
- Remove the bulb and turn on the fixture. If the fuse doesn't blow, the socket may be defective, shorting out when the bulb is inserted. Or the motion detector is shorting out when it turns on, if the motion detector is part of the light fixture.
- Inspect the wiring as best you can on the back side of the fixture. Is any insulation chaffed away?
- Are you really sure it's the aisle light? What else is on the same fuse circuit that might be the culprit?
- If none of this uncovers the problem, chances are the short is in the wiring heading back toward the fuse box. That could be tough to find.

danemayer

Maybe the welcome back light shares the fuse with something else. With the fuse blown or removed, have you checked to see if anything else is missing power? Like the light in the bedroom closet, or the hallway light, or the TV Amplifier. The label on the back of the fuse box cover might give a clue, but even if it says "Welcome Back Light" I'd check to make sure nothing else was affected.

donr827

Dan, thanks for the instruction page for the welcome back light. The person who did the walk through with me had no idea what it was.
Don

Willym

On my rig, there is a magnet attached to the bottom of the door which actuates the switch, which I presume is under the door interior threshold. So if you want to look for your switch, try looking under the door for the actuator. If it's there, then look under the threshold for the switch.

DougS

Doug S
Soilmover, some of us had problems with the wiring for the refrig. On my unit, the refrig. and the welcome back light are on the same circuit. When the refrig. wire blow, the welcome back went out. Not sure if yours is wired like my Grand Canyon, but you might want to check your refrig.

soilmovers

Maybe the welcome back light shares the fuse with something else. With the fuse blown or removed, have you checked to see if anything else is missing power? Like the light in the bedroom closet, or the hallway light, or the TV Amplifier. The label on the back of the fuse box cover might give a clue, but even if it says "Welcome Back Light" I'd check to make sure nothing else was affected.

There are 17 fuses. The fuse box cover lists 15. The blown fuse is #16. Anyway, we re-checked everything and did not find any non-working powered items.

Wondering if we can by-pass the welcome back and have it work on the designated switch.

thanks for your suggestions!
Cindy

soilmovers

On my rig, there is a magnet attached to the bottom of the door which actuates the switch, which I presume is under the door interior threshold. So if you want to look for your switch, try looking under the door for the actuator. If it's there, then look under the threshold for the switch.

I removed the magnet on the bottom of the door. Also, removed the light bulb with the light switch OFF. Insert a new fuse- close the door and the fuse blows. The problem has to be there. The bulb/fixture/wiring is ok.

Should I remove the threshold and see what's going on there?

soilmovers

Heartland engineers tell me the Landmark units have the circuit board in the threshold. In the Bighorns, it's in the basement behind the dividing wall.

thanks again for your reply,
Cindy