What do you do in freezing conditions

bigdob24

We plan on going south for a couple months. We plan on west Texas in Jan. and it does get cold .
i know RVs will handle a little freeze as long as it warms up the next day.
I was wondering about mounting a small electric heater in the basement area and run it on those cold nights and days if needed.
The sewer lines that are exposed will be fine as the valves are inclosed. There is a small fresh water drain with a valve on the end that's exposed, will it need heat tape?
Those of you that have made it thru cold spells share your secrets for success.
Thanks
Dan

Cjackg

We use a small electric heater often when traveling in the winter.... But, I would never use one in any area where it was out of sight...JMHO

JanAndBill

Just got back from a cold weather trip. Night time lows in the mid teens. We have two small electric ceramic heaters in the coach, which keeps everything bearable. I always make sure the furnace is up enough that it will run during the night, putting heat into the basement. I also have a clamp mount reflector with a 60 watt bulb in it, that shines on the wall near the plumbing. Never had anything freeze up inside yet, and we've been in temps down to 9. Unless the temps drop below about 29, the outside hose won't usually freeze. Don't really do enough cold weather camping to invest in a heated hose, so typically if it is below 29 I just disconnect and drain it overnight.

Miller0758

Thanks JandB ... You gave me hope for my February trip to South Carolina. I'm less concerned about my comfort but more about the water system

bigdob24

Thanks for the link, there is a lot of useful stuff there
With a few mods I can feel safer.
Thanks
Dan

pegmikef

Last year we were at Inks Lake State Park in Texas near Llano and the temps dropped overnight to the low teens. Not only did parts of my heated hose freeze, the pedestal froze as well. We found it easier to just disconnect the shorewater and use my spare hose to fill the fresh water tank (after about a half hour of using the wife's hair dryer to thaw the pedestal). I keep a reflector light in the UDC. We use an electric heater and the fireplace to maintain the heat, but also makes sure the furnace runs periodically to keep the plumbing from freezing. Because of icey road conditions we ended up staying four days in the subfreezing weather and did just fine. We couldn't let the faucets drip as we weren't connected to the sewer.

cableman

We are currently in North Carolina, fulltiming for the moment. We hit a low of 17 the other night. There is a light in the udc that I turn on and just put water in the tank. I roll up the water hose and bring it in. So Far so good. Looks like maybe 2 more weeks till we close on our house. I just keep an eye on the weather and react accordingly.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Since we wanted to do winter camping in our coach to go skiing, we made many of the mods for staying in below freezing temps including heat pads on some of the water lines, heating pad on the fresh tank, and adding a permanent metal shaded work light behind the basement wall aimed at the pump and other plumbing. Typically on a ski trip, we keep the fresh tank filled and run our water system with the pump.

Now, we are using our rig as temporary housing. We bought a heated hose, and a small styrofoam cooler to cover the hose bib/regulator. We made sure the heated hose thermostat is outside the cooler. The other end is hooked to a Camco Water Filter, hooked into the UDC. A light is on in the UDC, as well.

cooler.jpg

We also have a digital wireless thermometer, with 3 sensors. Two are in the underbelly at different locations, and the other is outside, so we can be sure heating is keeping the belly warm enough.

Temps got into the 30s and mid 20s last week, and we had no issues.

bigdob24

The fresh water drain has a valve on the end and it all hangs out in the weather below the RV!
No one has mentioned anything bout it?
Im off to get a couple light fixtures and flood lamp bulbs today.
Thanks
Dan

danemayer

The fresh water drain has a valve on the end and it all hangs out in the weather below the RV!
Thanks
Dan
In sub-freezing weather, the water above the valve in the fresh tank drain will freeze. If cold enough, the ice will wick its way into the tee that's above the coroplast, blocking flow of water between fresh tank and pump.

There are several approaches to managing this:

- insulate the exposed area. If temps aren't expected to go below the mid-20s (F), this may be sufficient.
- carefully cut slots into the coroplast, tuck the hose above the coroplast, and tape shut.
- wrap the hose with heat tape.

JanAndBill

I can't decide if I'm in awe or shaking my head at those who INTENTIONALLY go camping in sub-freezing temps! LOL The times we've been "caught" in the cold were "uncomfortable" to say the least. Even with the thermostat set to 72 and the electric heaters going, when the temperature goes below 20 and the wind picks up, we go through a 30# tank every 3 days. The walls especially on the slide outs, transmit cold, and all those windows in our unit that are nice in the summer, are like giant ice cubes in winter. When the wind blows those seals on the slides LEAK air. We could survive it but I prefer warmer climates in winter!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks
Dan

We tucked our fresh water drain inside the underbelly. We removed our low-point drains entirely, using Sharkbite fittings to reconnect the pipes.

I don't know if you need "heatlamp bulbs". 100 watt will probably be sufficient. You don't want to introduce a fire hazard. If you use with the rmetal reflector shade, it gets plenty warm!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

Bill, want to come elk hunting with us?

Attachments

• IMG_0759.jpg
    IMG_0759.jpg
    680.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0760.jpg
    IMG_0760.jpg
    404.3 KB · Views: 62

chiefneon

Howdy!

I use a heat taped and foam wraped fresh water hose and I flip the switchs on the Yeti package on our Cyclone 4000.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Why do they call it "The Yeti Package"?

On our Trail Runner it has a more tame name . . . "Heated Underbelly".

Or is there something different about the Yeti?

JanAndBill

Bill, want to come elk hunting with us?

The last time I went deer hunting it was so cold in the stand that I hooked up the generator, and electric heater. Got bored not seeing anything, so I turned on the TV I also brought to watch the ball game. Got a beer out of the fridge, microwaved some popcorn, and kicked back in the recliner. Didn't see a single deer all day!!!! Get the picture?? I just don't do cold and uncomfortable anymore, makes the bones hurt!:cool: