What Options Would You Want on a Ram 3500?

Bones

Apples and Oranges. Non HO vs HO and different tranny ratios as I noted above.

Torque gets a load moving and HP wins races. RAM would do better in the hill climb test if they were paddle shifted and allowed to turn up more RPMs. Mac HP is at 2800 RPMs. I do not think I have ever turned up to the RPM towing, but again I am not trying to win a race.

Chris

I have pulled up some hills borderline and the HO is only 15 HP difference. and 65 Torque but I wouldn't consider that complete apple and oranges

SNOKING

I have pulled up some hills borderline and the HO is only 15 HP difference. and 65 Torque but I wouldn't consider that complete apple and oranges

A SRW 3500 Aisin is one gear lower should pull grade a fairly similar to a 4.10 Aisin in the gear higher, as finally gear ratio is very similar. Chris

Oregon_Camper

Best upgrade you can do, is make sure you have this in front......LOL....just kidding!!! :) I hear those Ram's are awesome!

BLUE_OVAL_GRILL_EMBLEM_2010_SUPER_DUTY.jpg

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
My Big Country 5th Wheel Specs:
42.5' Long
GVWR: 16,000lbs
Scale Weights (full): Gross - 15,860lbs; Tong - 4,340lbs

Ram 3500 Options:
Must Haves:
-Crew or Mega Cab
-8' Bed
-6.7-Liter Cummings Diesel
-Aisin 6-Speed Trans
-4.10 Axle Ratio
-Dual Rear Wheels
-Auto Level Rear Air Suspension
-Trailer Brake Control
-5th Wheel Prep Package

Nice to Have:
-Spray-In Bedliner
-Tubular Side Steps
-Auxiliary Switches
-ParkView Rear Backup Camera
-ParkView Cargo Area Camera

As DRWs are a rarity to find on the dealer lots in our area. We choose to order ours.

We ordered...
-Crew Cab- I like to mega cab. But the crew cab is huge and I love the versatility of the 8' bed.
-Cummins
-Aisin
-4:10- Love this option. Where we live it is nothing but rolling hills. Very few flat sections. I am not a numbers guru, but I can say it is night and day over the 3.73 from our last truck.
-DRW
-I did not order the air suspension. As I already had the Airlift airbag suspension sitting at home.
-Fifth wheel prep
-Aux upfitter switches- Great option. A very clean, factory look. And makes for adding electric accessories very simple.
-Brake Controller
-spray in bedliner- I was really impressed with the factory spray in.
-Rear Camera
-I did not order the cargo camera. As I was concerned that with my trifold Tonnoeau cover, I would not be able to see the hitch anyways. My hitch sits very low in the bed.
-Sidesteps-I did not order factory as I liked the looks of another version. But I will say, I put 2000 miles on before I put the sidesteps on, and I had 4-5 rock chips in the side of the dually bed in that time. After I put the side steps on, I have not had one chip.

-One of the best options for us was the carpet delete. instead of spending money on expensive floor mats cover the carpet, we had it deleted. Makes it breeze to clean up dirt, sand and dog hair.

-This is not our daily driver. The only time it is really used is to pull the trailer. So we put more thought into some options and skimped on others. We wanted the most tow capacity and payload capacity. You never know how big or heavy the next trailer will be. Lol

I am not a Ram or Cummins expert. These are just my thoughts and opinions.

Good of luck in your search. Let us know how you make out.