Wheel in and out play

breid

I have had some issues with this trailer that have left me gun shy and frankly a little nervous. I am in a spot now and thought my rear DS tire looked a little low. I grabbed the tire to push on it a little and to my surprise there was some clunking coming from the wheel. I can't say I've ever noticed this before. If I had to guess it would be around 0.050" in and out play. I checked the lug nuts and verified that the axle not moving. I just had the wheel bearings packed following my suspension failure/upgrade, so I would hope that everything is back together properly.

Is there any play allowed in the wheel hubs that may change depending on the weight distribution of the trailer?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
breid, sounds to me like one of two things have happened. I would take off the wheel and then remove the bearing dust cover. That is the thing that may have a rubber boot on it for greasing. I would check to see if the people that repacked your wheel bearings have the nut tight enough. If not, follow the procedure outlined on Lipperts web site, to snug it up properly. There is a tab to hold the nut in position. If that is not the problem you may have a bad wheel bearing. I would put my money on a loose nut.
Let us know what you find.

Peace
Dave

Last edited:

jnbhobe

Dave has hit the nail on the head !!! I had that happen to me after I repacked my bearings last year. I must not have had the outer bearing seated in the race right. I tightened it up and was good to go, and had no damage.