Wheel Studs

rbfdclark

Today I took my new 3685RL to the tire store to exchange the tires from my older Alfa, brand new Goodyear 614's, for the ones that came with my trailer. When taking off the tires, first time they have been removed, one of the lugs would not come off. After much effort on the tire store guy, the stub snapped. They could not replace the stud, so I'm at 7 lug nuts right now. One of our RV group families have a 2008 Bighorn that had the exact same thing happen, cross threaded lug nut causing the stem to snap off. Has any one else here run across the same problem, lug nuts coming from the factory cross threaded? And will this be covered under warranty or am I out the cost of changing a lug stem? I love the Goodyear's on the Bighorn, just glad I wasn't on the side of the road trying to break off the stud after getting a flat...

Clark

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I am surprised that the tire store did not have any studs to replace. Broken studs are not all that uncommon.
Yours is the first one that I have heard of that came from the factory. If it was truly cross threaded. No way to know for sure.

Peace
Dave

creeper

They should be standard studs, they tire store should have put another one in they are not hard to change. Sounds like he didn't want to remove the hub and knock out the stud. . Good lesson to put a dab of anti seize on each lug.

caissiel

I can bet they were over torqued
Workeed on a Dodge with overloaded studs and they were all stretched and tthreads ruined.

Sent from my GT-S5660M using Tapatalk 2