Why does my Cyclone have three batteries with pics?

greylynn

I'm in the process of going to 2 Trojan 6v, inverter and solar in the future. I went to go measure the area next to my generator for a Norco battery box and finally took the cover off of the one black box to the far left and found it was another battery....I bought the hauler from a repo auction guy and don't have a owners manual. I always thought they just had two batteries. Is the third just for starting the generator? Anyway the batteries in there are junk. One is a trolling motor battery, one is a marine starting battery and the one on the left is a Costco.......So when I put the two Trojan's in, does this third battery stay?? For the Genset?? Here are pics....Also If this isn't for the gen, doesn't it need to be 4 or 2 batteries to stay 12v??? Also My switch is only a two position switch with three batts? They all wire into that terminal mounted on the wall in the back......Please help me figure this out.......

EDIT: It's a 2008 3210

Grey

135793db.jpg

562686f3.jpg

640815cf.jpg

b28a3bd5.jpg

f35d0e53.jpg

Last edited:

truknutt

Committed Member
I think there'd be a lot of speculation as to what's what without having it in front of us. Looks like you're gonna have to do some tracing!

You can have 3 12v batteries wired together. Looks like your Everlast is a 24V according to the label.

Let the speculatin' begin!!

branson4020

Icantre Member
I think there'd be a lot of speculation as to what's what without having it in front of us. Looks like you're gonna have to do some tracing!

You can have 3 12v batteries wired together. Looks like your Everlast is a 24V according to the label.

Let the speculatin' begin!!

I think that is just a group 24 12V battery.

watchthebox

My GUESS would be that the prior owner added extra batteries. My 2011 Cyclone 3010 only has a single 12V battery (which I'm currently in the process of replacing with four 6V Trojans, inverter, solar, etc...) Maybe someone who actually KNOWS will chime in! :)

greylynn

Well I got four Trojan T-105's today. If I wire two pairs in series and connect to the two way switch the same way it is currently hooked up I will still get 12V when the switch is on all right? then a set of two when on one or two? Does the terminal in the third pic just look like a place to put a bunch of grounds? Because I think one of the batteries neg goes to that terminal. Also does anyone recommend a 4 tray battery box? Thanks for the help guys!

Grey

watchthebox

I'm wiring my 4 T-105's as one 12V battery bank. I don't think I'd want to have two switchable batteries. It seems like it could cause possible issues with charging, unless you always had the switch set to 1+2. You could just hook both 12V equivalents up to one setting (switch setting 1, for example). That ground bus bar looks like the one where my battery neg lead goes to too.

I made my own custom battery box, which turned out well, but took a bit of time and effort. I recall right after I finished my box, I saw one used by another member (Yianni) which looks perfect. (See his thread: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/14967-Inverter-Installation-on-my-Cyclone-3010?highlight=inverter).

greylynn

I'm wiring my 4 T-105's as one 12V battery bank. I don't think I'd want to have two switchable batteries. It seems like it could cause possible issues with charging, unless you always had the switch set to 1+2. You could just hook both 12V equivalents up to one setting (switch setting 1, for example). That ground bus bar looks like the one where my battery neg lead goes to too.

I made my own custom battery box, which turned out well, but took a bit of time and effort. I recall right after I finished my box, I saw one used by another member (Yianni) which looks perfect. (See his thread: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/14967-Inverter-Installation-on-my-Cyclone-3010?highlight=inverter).

Ok, how would I wire it then to put it on one switch. Like just on the one position? Or I guess I could just wire it to both and always leave it on all.........Oh and I bought the Dyno 4 gc battery box with starps. I didn't really like the white but it looks solid and was priced reasonably.

greylynn

I just bought the Xantrex Freedom SW 3000 inverter with the system Control Panel and Automatic Generator Start. I want to install it myself but. Don't want to jack anything up. I have electrical experience and I'm pretty handy, but I also don't have a ton of time to do it with work, kids and all. The only place around me is Camping world, and they charge a fortune. After I get the batteries installed I'll go from there..

Grey

watchthebox

I'd still use the switch. That's a nice disconnect switch. Just have one positive and one negative cable coming from your battery bank, and connect the positive to the appropriate terminal bolt on the switch. I should add that I'm not an expert either ;) I'm in the middle of doing a similar upgrade. I'll post some pictures of mine when I get further along. I have my power center (board on which I'm laying out all the switches and connections) just about done, and will hopefully have the batteries and box in tonight. I know what you mean about finding time to do it!

greylynn

I got my 4 Trojan T-105's and the Dyna box. Gonna go try to take all the other batteries and trays out and get these installed. Do I have to cut a hole in this tray and connect it to my vent hose? here are pics....

Grey

ee55f1aa.jpg

32863fb1.jpg

4403d53c.jpg

watchthebox

That box is perfect! I do hope your Cyclone has more room than mine, though. I had to free up the hydrualic pump/resevoir unit in order to be able to barely squeeze my box in sideways and then rotate it into position. Maybe they didn't have hydraulic landing gears yet on your model. Also, it was a chore then squeezing the heavy Trojan's into the front compartment and into the box.

As I saw somewhere on this forum, I'm going to cut out the piece of the old plastic battery box where the vent attached, and attach that to the lid of my new battery box with corresponding hole. To that I'll then attach the vent hose.

porthole

Retired
My .02.
If and when I do GC batteries my plan is to use 4 batteries, two banks of 2 batteries. Each bank wired in series to get 12.6 volts. Each bank then wired to a "0ff / 1 / 1+2 / 2" switch. Why go through all the trouble and not spend a few extra dollars to have some flexibility?

I would add an inverter, probably something big enough to run the smaller AC (3K)

I will already have in the truck, battery cables that run from the engine compartment to the rear bumper with industrial connectors attached.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#battery-cable-connectors/=aw0fwf
I also get my battery cable from MC, I use the welding cable.
We use this cable and connector setup for all our work trailers, boat trailers, winches and jumper cables.

I would also add a heavy duty battery cable connection from the truck (above connectors) to the trailer. That should keep enough juice flowing to run the inverter with the truck supplying current to the batteries. One of the reasons I ordered the new truck with twin alternators.

Nice battery box as pictured above, but not using the bottom drain as supplied by the factory. I have corrosion around mine from the fumes-acid coming out of the drain.

I will also be blocking off my current battery vent and moving it.
Now that I have a sealed battery box I found where the acid on the trailer bottom was coming from. Rain and washing the trailer was allowing water into the vent. Explains why my battery was always wet.

West Marine has an excellent supply of everything electrical you may need. Prices may be more then you would expect but the quality is about the best you can get.

Last edited:

greylynn

That box is perfect! I do hope your Cyclone has more room than mine, though. I had to free up the hydrualic pump/resevoir unit in order to be able to barely squeeze my box in sideways and then rotate it into position. Maybe they didn't have hydraulic landing gears yet on your model. Also, it was a chore then squeezing the heavy Trojan's into the front compartment and into the box.

As I saw somewhere on this forum, I'm going to cut out the piece of the old plastic battery box where the vent attached, and attach that to the lid of my new battery box with corresponding hole. To that I'll then attach the vent hose.

Mine does have the hydraulic stuff to the left in the compartment. Looks like I might have to do the same thing you did......

watchthebox

I finished installing my batteries today, and posted some pics. Here's a link to the thread: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/22253-Cyclone-3010-Battery-Upgrade One picture shows how I elevated the hydraulic unit to get the box and batteries in.