Why does my Cyclone have three batteries with pics?

porthole

Retired
You cannot "seal" the battery box. In the process of charging-discharging batteries can "off-gas". This is typically from overcharging. There is a fine line between the under/exact/over charge rate. The liquid used in a lead acid battery is a mixture of sulfuric acid (about 35%) and distilled water.
The gas given off from charging is hydrogen gas (as in Hindenburg).

So the box needs to be vented.

Last edited:

lwmcguir

We have used two 12 volt sealed batteries for years. That way I don't have to add water and we don't off gas. Don't have quite the reserve but it sure works for me. Use them on most of our other applications due to only having to clean the terminals every other years or so and no other maintenance.

greylynn

Well, I wired all the batteries in. Camping World is installing the inverter to my specs. I went and checked on it on Saturday and all looked good. They have to call Onan tomorrow to get some info on installing the automatic generator start. I forgot to take pics, but I will when I get back from the dunes.

Grey

greylynn

Well, Camping World blew out my 400 amp fuse by turning on the A/C. The service manager called me and told me. They also said did you consider putting in a subpanel? I told them the guy that did the appraisal said I wouldn't need one if I didn't care to isolate from the two A/C's. I said I have no intention of running the A/C or microwave off my small battery bank.

Anyway, I pick it up tomorrow morning with the 200 amp fuse in it and I will come back after my trip and get the 400 amp they blew because they had to order one.

I better not thave any problems with this.....

jnbhobe

I better not have any problems with this !!

The beauty of Camping World now is your camping and their some where else !!!

porthole

Retired
I had the Heart Interface 3000 (predessor to the unit you have) in our previous boat.
No sub panel and it ran the AC.

watchthebox

That's too bad they blew your fuse! But I guess better to find out now than in the desert somewhere. If you're going to keep it wired as you have it, you may consider getting a big DC circuit breaker instead of a fuse. A high amp DC circuit breaker costs quite a bit (over $100), but it might be cheaper than buying a lot of fuses.

greylynn

That's too bad they blew your fuse! But I guess better to find out now than in the desert somewhere. If you're going to keep it wired as you have it, you may consider getting a big DC circuit breaker instead of a fuse. A high amp DC circuit breaker costs quite a bit (over $100), but it might be cheaper than buying a lot of fuses.

Yeah, that sounds like a better idea. Do you think the 200 amp fuse is good enough for my dune trip? I'm not running the A/C or Microwave....Also what size breaker do you think would be good? The manual says 400 amp max. The biggest I could find on the net was about 150amp.

branson4020

Icantre Member
For that big "catastrophe" fuse, if you are going to replace it with a circut breaker, its important that you consider the time characteristics of the breaker as well as its current rating. It should more or less match the characteristics of the fuse its replacing.

watchthebox

I don't know about your inverter, but the manual of the Magnum MS line of inverters (like I have) states that you may use a 250A circuit breaker or 400A fuse with 4/0 cable. You'll have to check and make sure it's OK to use one with yours.

Like I said, I don't know if these breakers would work with your inverter, but here are two examples of 250A DC circuit breakers. Maybe someone with knowledge of your specific inverter will chime in, or I suppose you could try to get a hold of Xantrex. http://www.solar-electric.com/mnedc250.html and http://www.axionsolar.com/catalog/surface-mounted-250-amp-dc-circuit-breaker-p-1173.html

greylynn

Well, I got the hauler back and the battery bank and inverter worked awesome during the whole trip! I don't even think I need solar.....The battery bank would just not get low, around 12v was as low as it would get running the TV's lights furnace and everything all night! Here are some pics.....I forgot to take a pic of the System Control Panel which is the best feature. I still have to go get my 400amp fuse, they called me the other day.....
7ea64878.jpg

15d374cc.jpg

ece1be99.jpg

f2e1c656.jpg

Last edited: