Woodburning Stove?!?

wyleyrabbit

Hi everyone,

At the campground I'm staying at this week, there's a guy here with a Sundance that has...a wood burning stove inside. Complete with a big shiny chimney coming about 2 to 3 feet out of the middle of his roof.

I asked him about it and he said, "yes, I do have a wood burning stove" and proudly told me that he gets his heat from firewood, not from propane. He went on to explain that he has to remove the chimney when he travels.

If I get a chance, I'll take a picture of the outside of his trailer and post it here.

This is one mod I don't plan on doing to our Bighorn! Wow. :)

Cheers,
Chris

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Doesn't sound safe. Any particulates from fires backing up in the coach are harmful to health. Not to mention the fire danger aspect of it. IMHO.
Plus I recently read that from a standpoint of economics,given a choice, firewood is not an efficient means of heating vs gas, or propane. It's good stricktly for ambiance.

wyleyrabbit

I'd have to agree. I can't believe he doesn't get sparks hitting his roof. Not sure how flammable the rubber roof is, but still. Seems a bit crazy to me.

I don't think this is an option we'll be seeing from Heartland anytime soon. :D

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I'm betting his insurance company doesn't know about a fireplace. Wait a minute, insurance?? Probably not.

irvin56

roasting weiners and marshmellows in style, close to the fridge to grab a cold one. But the smoke I think would drive you out of the unit??.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Chris, is it safe to assume this guy is set up somewhat permanent? I can't imagine he has much clearance with that pipe. OMG.

TandT

Even though it would scare the **** out of me, I have to give him marks for creativity.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
What a scary thought - fire inside a camper, even if it on purpose. Woodburning stoves are such a dry heat and sucks any moisture out of an enclosed area, just doesn't seem safe. Wonder how he put in a heat barrier around the stove? There is enough concern about a fire within the coach and how fast they can go up to even think about putting a fire, even a contained fire, inside a coach. Just don't think that smart!!!!

hankaye

Howdy All;

Have a looky-see. These are made just up the road (less than a mile), from where I live (full-time).

http://sheepcamps.com/

When I lived in Southeast Ohio the PRIMARY heat I had was wood (14 years). NOTHING warms you to the bone any better.
Yes it sucks the moisture outta the air, place a pot with water in it on the stove and you have moist heat. Really, it's that simple.

When the proper precautions (did anyone ask to see HOW it's set-up), are in place it's no more dangerious than an electric heater.
It's just that now with the Emerald Ash Borer you don't want to haul wood much further than 50 miles from where it grew. Helps reduce the spread of that nasty bug.
I (my opinion), like that the fella has made himself comfortable, I'm also fairly certian that his would be the last to catch fire. Provided he has taken the necessary precautions.

Some of you really need to look into things before ya go po-poin' and interesting and resourceful idea. Trees re-new to a firewood size in about 10 years. How long before that propane re-news? of the coal that is burned in the Electric generating Plant? or the urainum to depleate?

Ask questions please don't act like Chicken Little.

hank

TandT

Hank,The Sheepcamp is an interesting idea, if the manufacturing process plans for it.
It would be interesting to see what steps this guy took to insulate around his fireplace.I guess it beats freezing to death. I wouldn't want all the soot and smoke associated with a fireplace in my coach. The sheep camp looks like it may have a metal roof, unlike most RV's that have a rubber roof. I don't think the rubber would stand up to sparks and such. Just sayin'

Sakool

My wife's Grand Father and Father would have loved those "camps" back in their days. Of course theirs were a little more rustic and pulled by mules. They spent a lot of time in them out on the range in western South Dakota watching the sheep.

porthole

Retired
I can't believe the campground would allow that.
Knowing first hand how fast a fire spreads in a trailer (we have never saved one) the last thing I would consider is a wood burning stove inside.

And if he can take the flue off for travel that means it is not sealed tight - period.

The "sheep camp" trailers are more then likely built knowing there would be a wood stove in place.

Last edited:

gpshemi

Doesn't sound safe. Any particulates from fires backing up in the coach are harmful to health. Not to mention the fire danger aspect of it. IMHO.
Plus I recently read that from a standpoint of economics,given a choice, firewood is not an efficient means of heating vs gas, or propane. It's good stricktly for ambiance.

It's not as efficient no, but if it's free...it's free. Right?

As far as smoke driving you out, it better not, if it's vented properly. There shouldn't be any smoke inside.

Frankly electric heaters are not all that safe, but they are safer. Had a family friend that lost their house while trying to keep new puppies warm in the garage with an electric heater. Grampa's new "Dimplex" just burned up and smoked the wall socket in the house. That was pretty scary. Turns out there's a recall on that.

With that said...I'm not sure I want to stay next to this guy either. We just don't know enough about his setup. I wouldn't let him run it if I was the CG owner either.

porthole

Retired
Just the thought of the amount of embers that can come out of this in the close quarters of a campground would set off my alarm.

hankaye

Howdy all;

The sheep camps were built as modern upgrades to the old ones. They use modern materials but retain a simularity to the way they were and the olden Gypse wagons from way back in the day before propane furnaces were even thought of.
The folks at Timberline even build their own stoves. With ti-wall flue pipe you can have a cover for the top while driving. The ones at Timberline don't even take the flues off for travel. The speeds out here are 75mph. on the inter-states. It all has to do with how one goes about doing things. I like the one's that have the wheels in all four corners instead of twin axles near the middle... nostalgia.
I've learned (that took a while...lol), to ask questions instead of rushing to judgment. Then I can make-up my own mind about things.

just sayin'....

hank
PS. I am in NO WAY affiliated with nor am I related to any thing or anybody at Timberline
and I receive no compensation of any type from them. Just a conveiant example.