Would like to install a leveling system on my Gateway

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The original Ground Control jacks were rated for 5000 lbs. each. Guess I've been skirting with disaster the years since I installed them on my 3670RL (which weighed in at 14575 lbs. loaded for travel). Depending on which catalog sheet you looked at, the 3670RL was somewhere between 36 and 39 feet long. No such disclaimer was issued by Reico-Titan when they sold it.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Jamie, I know Lippert's marketing info recommends the 6 point vs 4 point Auto-leveling System for trailers over 31 feet. In your conversation with them, was their statement inclusive of the Ground Control systems?

Yes. When I finally got to the right person to talk about the ground control system. I asked him the question about length restrictions. His answer was "that's a good question, I'll have to check". Then he put me on hold.

Bighorn55

I also installed the 4 point ground control last year on my BH3670. Love it. The only trick during installation was with the front jacks. I needed a work around kit. It came with the full kit but the instructions for its use was at the end of the instructions list. After a little hunting and yes cursing I figured it all out.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yes. When I finally got to the right person to talk about the ground control system. I asked him the question about length restrictions. His answer was "that's a good question, I'll have to check". Then he put me on hold.

Interesting, our rig is 37' and was never warned of that. -- but ours still has RiecoTitan logos all over it, even though it was purchased from Mobile Outfitters (Lippert). Sounds like they have altered the design of the product? Or is it just a marketing scheme to sell a more expensive system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olcoon

I'm planning on buying & installing the 4 point system at the pre-rally. I've been calling Lippert to make sure I've got the right tools with me. I'd hate to have to go out & buy something at the rally that I've got at home. I've called them 3 times now, & no one can answer my questions, & they say they'll find out & call me back. Guess they never found out as I've never been called.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I'm planning on buying & installing the 4 point system at the pre-rally. I've been calling Lippert to make sure I've got the right tools with me. I'd hate to have to go out & buy something at the rally that I've got at home. I've called them 3 times now, & no one can answer my questions, & they say they'll find out & call me back. Guess they never found out as I've never been called.

If it's the same as the original 4-jack system, you'll need a good drill with bits. A corded drill might be a better choice, but a strong cordless will get it. A socket set and box wrenches is also a good thing. Although my set came with self-tapping bolts to attach the jack mounts to the frame, I opted to replace them with Grade 8 zinc dichromated bolts, washers and nuts. I drilled through the frame web and attached them. I found the ASTM A307 bolts they supplied with the system were not rated for the torques they called for in the instructions. Fortunately, I found that out quickly after snapping the first one before even getting near the torque value.

The electrical connections are all plug together, so you don't have to worry about splicing and wire nuts. You will need to drop the coroplast along one side to run the wires from the rear jacks to the controller. Working by myself in a storage yard (10 miles from home), it took me two days to put them on. That included having to run up to a fastener supplier to get the proper bolts for it. Fortunately, the front jacks were no problem since I don't have a generator. I used my cribbing blocks to support the front end after lifting the rig.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
JWalker Did you get your Ground Control system installed?

Unfortunately no. There are concerns about the Jack placement interfering with our rear entry step location. Plus I'm hoping that shortly a DIY System will be out. Like the four point system. Hopefully I'll get a little bit more information on that in Goshen in 2 weeks.

Mrsfish

Next time you call Lippert, ask for Shannon. He is awesome and seems to love a challenge.