12 volt Equipment & Accessories

SilverRhino

I am adding a new auxiliary 12 circuit fuse block to our tow vehicle. Looking on the internet I found a company, Blue Sea Systems, and after the recommendation from Duane (porthole), I purchased the needed circuit block and a fuse block.

While researching this project, I discovered the world of boat and marine suppliers. The quality of the products you will find from these sources is far superior to what you find from RV suppliers. Not only did I find great products, but looking at the diagrams and system photos, every RV tech and factory installer should be required to intern under a marine manufacturer. The quality of the wiring and systems is heads above anything found in an RV. Wires are all carefully run, neatly arranged and labelled. Photos of how they wired systems, make the wiring on my BC look like it was done by a 3 year old.

I learned a lot about the proper way to do things from a number of the sites I found. If you are looking to repair or modify anything in the 12 volt side of your RV, check out the marine suppliers.

wdk450

I am adding a new auxiliary 12 circuit fuse block to our tow vehicle. Looking on the internet I found a company, Blue Sea Systems, and after the recommendation from Duane (porthole), I purchased the needed circuit block and a fuse block.

While researching this project, I discovered the world of boat and marine suppliers. The quality of the products you will find from these sources is far superior to what you find from RV suppliers. Not only did I find great products, but looking at the diagrams and system photos, every RV tech and factory installer should be required to intern under a marine manufacturer. The quality of the wiring and systems is heads above anything found in an RV. Wires are all carefully run, neatly arranged and labelled. Photos of how they wired systems, make the wiring on my BC look like it was done by a 3 year old.

I learned a lot about the proper way to do things from a number of the sites I found. If you are looking to repair or modify anything in the 12 volt side of your RV, check out the marine suppliers.

Too bad RV's don't have to undergo Coast Guard Inspections. I think that is the reason for the order and organization in boat construction.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Too bad RV's don't have to undergo Coast Guard Inspections. I think that is the reason for the order and organization in boat construction.
And the high price tag that goes with the organization. The sailboats I have sailed in years past were in the 32 - 38' range with a new price tag in the $200,000+ range. Even the 10 year old sailboats were in the $100,000 price range.

I think the organization term is Ship shape.

wdk450

Boats and aircraft have one thing in common that requires them to adhere to these higher standards of build and engineering than RV's - They are involved in "artificial" situations, which if in these situations failure is encountered, fatality is a likelihood. In saying "artificial situations", I mean floating tons of material on the water, and (floating) flying tons of material through the air. Gravity and water are unforgiving forces.