12 volt lights not working

nostrokin

NEW TO CAMPING, 2014 trail runner 27 foot, this weekend my 12 volt lights stopped working when un plugged from power . plug it in and everything work fine. fuses all checked good. everything was good two days ago when we arrived at the park. but after we unplugged the camper to leave today I went back in to get something and nothing. and it was hooked up to tow vehicle while running

danemayer

Hi nostrokin,

Congratulations on the new Trail Runner and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

You may have a very easy to resolve problem. Normally when you unplug from shore power, the lights and other 12V DC gear will run off battery power. The fact that everything works ok on shore power and immediately fails when shore power is removed, demonstrates that either the battery is dead, or power from the battery has been interrupted.

There is a 12V DC mini-circuit breaker in between the battery and the Power Converter and Fuse Box. If that breaker trips, you'll have exactly the symptom you describe. The mini-circuit breaker is usually mounted on a buss bar located near the battery. You need to locate the breaker (it'll have 2 heavy red wires attached to the 2 terminals). There's a teeny-tiny reset button on the bottom. Sometimes it's easier to feel the reset button than to see it.

I've attached some pictures to help you locate it.

Also, you might take a look at our owner-written 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic Guide. It has a full explanation along with drawings and a diagnostic flow chart.

Attachments

• Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    Buss Bar Example Notated.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 47
  • circuit breaker reset.jpg
    circuit breaker reset.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 42
  • circuitbreaker.jpg
    circuitbreaker.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 44

nostrokin

Hi nostrokin,

Congratulations on the new Trail Runner and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

You may have a very easy to resolve problem. Normally when you unplug from shore power, the lights and other 12V DC gear will run off battery power. The fact that everything works ok on shore power and immediately fails when shore power is removed, demonstrates that either the battery is dead, or power from the battery has been interrupted.

There is a 12V DC mini-circuit breaker in between the battery and the Power Converter and Fuse Box. If that breaker trips, you'll have exactly the symptom you describe. The mini-circuit breaker is usually mounted on a buss bar located near the battery. You need to locate the breaker (it'll have 2 heavy red wires attached to the 2 terminals). There's a teeny-tiny reset button on the bottom. Sometimes it's easier to feel the reset button than to see it.

I've attached some pictures to help you locate it.

Also, you might take a look at our owner-written 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic Guide. It has a full explanation along with drawings and a diagnostic flow chart.

well not the reset button. I have good battery power. the slide out and awning work just nothing else

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have a battery cut-off switch? And is it in the ON position?
Also check the neutral cable and wires for good contact both at the battery and neutral buss bar.

Peace
Dave

justafordguy

The slide out will more than likely be on a separate 12v circuit breaker than the distribution panel. Usually the only breaker with a manual reset is the one that runs the inside panel.

nostrokin

I went out today and seen the manual reset and tried to push it put it didn't feel like it moved , I did check inside at the fuse panel , I took off the cover plate and checked the red and white wires coming from the battery, the big ones unscrewed the lugs and pulled the two wires out and tested there was 12 volt to the panel. I just wonder if the circuit board is bad

nostrokin

I don't think I have a battery cutoff switch . and I was inside the camper when the power went out. we were getting ready to leave the campground and my son turned on the water pump switch on the bathroom wall where the water heater switch and battery level , black water , gray water , fresh water gauge I at

MCTalley

Our new trailer exhibited this same problem, fortunately during our PDI at the dealer. They had it plugged into shore power during the walk-through and all the lights, etc. worked fine. They unplugged it and moved it over next to our old rig so we could move things back and forth. That's when I noticed that even though the jacks and slides worked, none of the lights or 12v fans inside were working.

Turned out being a blown fuse on the power converter (according to the dealer technician). Not sure where that would be in a North Trail, but I'd look there.

danemayer

I went out today and seen the manual reset and tried to push it put it didn't feel like it moved , I did check inside at the fuse panel , I took off the cover plate and checked the red and white wires coming from the battery, the big ones unscrewed the lugs and pulled the two wires out and tested there was 12 volt to the panel. I just wonder if the circuit board is bad

1. The slides work with shore power disconnected, which means your battery still has a charge.
2. If you had 12V at the fuse box with shore power disconnected, but interior lights weren't working, I'd check the ground side of the battery.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Did you check the 3 small fuses on the converter? Also, the red LED indicator on the 12v fuze panel will light up if the fuze is bad Only if there is a load on the circuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nostrokin

Did you check the 3 small fuses on the converter? Also, the red LED indicator on the 12v fuze panel will light up if the fuze is bad Only if there is a load on the circuit.

idid not see 3 small fuses on the converter

nostrokin

well I checked everything again today , still no 12v power. good battery , good buss bar connections , manual reset button not tripped , power to fuse box circuit board good on the big red and white wires from battery. the shore power still works everything but when I unplug it nothing works . except the power jack, power slide, and power awning still work . has anyone had the circuit board go bad and is there a way to check it

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
This is very strange. I can't imagine it being the circuit board. Perhaps your trailer is wired completely different than my 5th wheel, but power from shore should go to your converter that changes it to 12v going then to the fuze panel. Likewise, power from the battery goes to to 12v fuze panel. Sounds like the problem is somewhere between the battery and the 12v panel. I'd start at the battery with a voltmeter and check the voltage all the way to the fuze panel.

danemayer

well I checked everything again today , still no 12v power. good battery , good buss bar connections , manual reset button not tripped , power to fuse box circuit board good on the big red and white wires from battery. the shore power still works everything but when I unplug it nothing works . except the power jack, power slide, and power awning still work . has anyone had the circuit board go bad and is there a way to check it

Have you tried following the diagnostic flowchart in the 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic Guide? While it won't find every problem, it might help you figure this out.

bdb2047

Not sure of wiring in Trail Runner,but think they all would be similar. Did you check voltage at 12V panel while unpluged from shore power. You can check if breaker is working with a volt meter. Check across terminals if you get a 12v reading breaker is open should get no or minimal reading with breaker working.

jnbhobe

Some one is missing something here, this has to be an easy fix. Get a meter or a test light out and trace the 12V power out.