2006 Bighorn AC Remote Replacement

benh

Is there any way to get rid of the remote and put in a wall thermostat
without having to replace the air conditioner as well? My remote/receiver quit this morning.:mad:

Thanks

jimtoo

Hi benh,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I have had an 06, 08 and 09 Big Horn never had a remote to control the a/c. In the 08 and also the 09 the thermostat was replaced and I used one of the Hunter 42999B stats. I think several others have done the same.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

jimtoo

No, it's not a plugin. But it's just remove the wires and reinstall. I'll try to find the wiring diagram for you... it's on here someplace.

Jim M

benh

Thanks so much Jimtoo. A wiring diagram would be all I need. Will this mod still operate the roof air, and the gas furnace on the same thermostat?

Ben

jimtoo

Yes Ben, it will still operate the furnace. Just for information, you need to keep the fan on "Auto" when running the a/c, if not and you turn on the furnace the a/c fan will come on. A small switch can be added to use fan on high or low when using a/c if you want it also.

Link to Thermostat replace. I think Hunter is 3rd down or so.

Jim M

benh

Thanks Jim, but one more question...(I hope you're not getting tired of 'one more question'), the colored wires that I am connecting to the thermostat originate where? Are they the wires that are currently connected to the remote receiver with the 'telephone' type cable?

Thanks again

Yes Ben, it will still operate the furnace. Just for information, you need to keep the fan on "Auto" when running the a/c, if not and you turn on the furnace the a/c fan will come on. A small switch can be added to use fan on high or low when using a/c if you want it also.

Link to Thermostat replace. I think Hunter is 3rd down or so.

Jim M

jimtoo

Yes Ben, that should be the wires you need. I assume your remote receiver is mounted in the open where you would want the new thermostat.

Jim M

benh

Unfortunately the remote receiver is mounted on the ceiling unit, so I will have to run the wires from there to a wall to mount the thermostat. I can handle that though. Thanks for all of your timely help Jim

ronbo3107

Jimtoo, I need to do this as well. However I click on your link and it takes me nowhere that says antything. It's like the homepage.