2011 Cyclone Duo-therm dometic inside ceiling unit in bedroom

Blummer42

Hello, it says penguin on it also. The thermostat says fan, cool and furnace. We bought this used and am not sure if the unit should be able to put out heat? Would it have a heat strip in it?
Hubby says he tried it and no heat?

Thanks

RoadJunkie

The Heartland factory, customer service, will be able to tell you if heat strips were installed as part of the build. Call them at 877-262-8032 and give them the VIN number. Alternatively, get the model and serial number of the air conditioner units and call Dometic directly.

danemayer

Hi Blummer42,

If you have a Dometic Comfort Control II thermostat, I think there would be a 4th position on the thermostat mode, HS, if you had heat strips.

porthole

Retired
Hello, it says penguin on it also. The thermostat says fan, cool and furnace. We bought this used and am not sure if the unit should be able to put out heat? Would it have a heat strip in it?
Hubby says he tried it and no heat?

Thanks

No.
Heat strips were not a factory option at that time, only heat pumps. Heat pumps were available in early 2010 Cyclones but a fire at the Dometic plant put that option off for awhile.
If you had heat strips or heat-pumps, there would be a 4th position on the t-stat. And that 4th position would be specific to heat strip or heat pump, the control is different.

I'll take a picture if you want to see what it looks like.

Heat pumps are not add on, the AC unit is built that way.

Heat strips can be added post build and in my opinion may be a better option. Depending on which AC unit you have, the strip will be installed from inside or from the roof side.

This website probably has all the parts you would need and they support side is fairly goos at helping you pick the correct parts.
I recently replaced my main AC unit. The new style AC's are quieter, better insulated and I was able to order it with a heat strip kit ($55) and the all digital t-stat.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv_parts_rv_accessories.htm

RoadJunkie

I think mine says HP for heat pump.

When the thermostat is indicating "HP" it is not a positive indicator that a heat pump equipped A/C is installed. I just went through this exercise. I was only able to confirm the capability of my A/C by model and serial number.