2018 Resolution to Older Dometic Penguin I A/C Noise Issue

When researching how to best address excessive A/C operating noise in our recently acquired travel trailer, I found older posts (like "Edge Air Conditioner Question") that were helpful and pointed us in the right direction. I'd like to share our experience so others may benefit from it.

We purchased a 2010 Heartland Edge M21 at the end of May 2018. The A/C operating noise was excessive! On this forum, we read about "softer compressor mounting grommets" sent to Dealers from Dometic to address this issue.

We contacted Dometic via email at customersupportcenter@dometic.com, provided our model number (ours is a Dometic 600312.331) and explained our situation and that the Dealership had inspected and cleaned the unit and tightened the mounting bolts.

Within a day or two, Dometic responded with the part number for the "anti vibration kit" 3314471.016, which included two foam blocks, two zip ties with two rubber parts to wrap around some lines, the four softer compressor mounting grommets, a bulletin and instructions. The kit was shipped to us at no charge. It arrived within a day or two. The parts were shipped from Dometic in IN and we live in IL. Dometic has obviously acknowledged the noise issue in these Penguin low profile and light weight A/C units that were being installed in the Edge line.

I am impressed with Dometic. Fast response to my inquiry and quick shipping of the parts.

Because the instructions included removing two of the existing foam blocks between the roof and the A/C unit and placing the two new foam blocks included in the kit in a different location, we knew we'd want to replace any remaining foam blocks and strips as well as the 14" X 14" gasket that frames the opening in the roof at the same time we installed the anti vibration kit. We ordered the CAMCO 25071 14 x 14 Universal Roof Air Conditioner Gasket Kit through Amazon for under $20. I had planned to purchase the gasket kit through Dometic, but Dometic had just the 14 x 14 gasket for double the price of the CAMCO kit through Amazon. I have read the Dometic gasket is better than CAMCO's but I wanted all the foam pieces.

BOTTOM LINE: After installing the above items, the noise is at a reasonable level. We can now carry on a conversation without feeling like we are at a rock concert!