Replacement Dometic A/C installation issues

Wgmurray65

Our 15K Dometic A/C died on our 2014 Landmark. Ordered replacement from PPL and told only one direct replacement option as my unit has been discontinued. Received unit (Dometic Brisk 2) that was smaller and lighter. New unit does not have an integrated control board. Talked to Dometic to order correct part and received. The new unit mounting holes do not match up with the existing holes. No installation instructions with unit and online instruction only talk about interior mounting plate set up with the 4 bolts from the inside. Does anyone know the proper way to attach? Lag bolt to roof and repair old holes? Also the only place to install the control box is in the return air void where all the existing wire are. The control box takes up a third of the space and I am concerned about obstructing air flow. I plan on using foil HVAC tape to secure. Does this seem correct? Also the ducted system had a diagonal divider between the supply and return side in the ceiling. The old AC had a straight divider so the supply and return air were mixing. This also does not seem correct. Is there a reason for this? I plan on making a diagonal divider to 100% seperate the flows. Has anyone replaced the old style Dometic A/C with the new style and run into these issues? Looking for some answers and feedback. I currently have the unit on the roof but not attached until I can figure this out. Thansk in advance!

danemayer

Hi Wgmurray65,

Welcome to posting on the Heartland Owners Forum. Sorry to hear about the A/C failure. I think one or two people have posted about changing to a Brisk 2 unit. Hopefully they'll see this post and provide some guidance.

Wgmurray65

Sure sounds like the wrong replacement unit to me.

Well it turns out that I was sold the wrong A/C by PPL in TX. Not that it is entirety their fault as multiple calls to Dometic provided incorrect information as well. Seems like they have incomplete information on the compatibility between old and new models with ducted returns. The bottom line is my Landmark with ducted returns needs a Dometic NTX. It has more air flow and 3 of the 4 bolt holes will align with the old unit. Please see our blog entry for more information as posting all of it here would make for a loooong post. I hope this helps someone save a bunch of time and aggravation.

https://bkamericanodyssey.com/2017/04/28/ac-fiasco-and-getting-rid-of-the-mouse/