All New LM365 Newport

T

TomMontague

We have strengthened the frame and increased its capacity. The question posed to me was how can we increase the GVWR within the next year. I was just trying to offer suggestions on how we might be able to do so.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Tom, would a heavier rated Independent Suspension add so additional carrying capacity? Adding that as an option would be really be a great way to add some if the buyer wanted more capacity.

Alan_B

Tom, would a heavier rated Independent Suspension add so additional carrying capacity? Adding that as an option would be really be a great way to add some if the buyer wanted more capacity.

I am not an engineer, however the capacity of the axles doesn't seem to be the constraint. The Newport already has two 8,000 lbs. axles. With a 20% pin weight that would yield a 20,000 GVWR.

Hey Tom, is was nice to meet you at the Dallas RV Show today. It's always great to put a name with a face. I did think of my question for you; after we left, of course! What would be a way to get solar panel wiring from the roof to the batteries? Most people use the refrigerator vent, but I'm assuming there isn't one since the Newport has a residential version. Are there plumbing vents up there? Thanks!

T

TomMontague

Nice to meet you as well. From my understanding you don't want solar panels on the roof. Wooded camp sites ( trees ) are the big reason. You need flexibility depending on where the sun is. They make a great portable unit that you can move around and "chase" the sun at your camp site. When you are done you can then fold them up and put them in your pass-thru for safe keeping while to travel to your new location.

I should have have an option and pre-wire for panels soon. At least I hope so.

The external solar panels are easy to do. From my understanding wiring for the roof panels isn't hard either if you are set on having that. All you have to do is run one wire from the ceiling to the battery compartment. That's what I was told anyway.

Have be a great evening.
Tom

I definitely will put panels on the roof. All of the blogs and installers on solar that I follow put them there, along with adjustable legs to raise one side toward the sun during the winter. I'm looking at 1200 watts so I can be off the grid for as long as my water tanks last. That's a lot of panels, so the current they produce will require #4 cable to run down to the solar controller to limit voltage drop. If you offer an option in the future to pre-wire for solar, make sure you use large enough cable. Most manufacturers that make it an option size it only for the smallest of systems. #10 cable won't cut it for anything more than a couple hundred watt system.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We have three panels on our roof...we use them to boon dock, which is not under trees. DH ran the cables down through the grey tank vent in the bathroom.

We have three panels on our roof...we use them to boon dock, which is not under trees. DH ran the cables down through the grey tank vent in the bathroom.
Thanks for that information. I figured there must be a vent on the roof somewhere, but I didn't climb up on the roof at the show yesterday to see for sure.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
There will be several vents...the kitchen tank, shower tank, black tank and one for the w/d compartment....

Tom,
What's the main reason most manufacturers don't use a fiberglass roof? I know that by far the favorite is EPDM, followed by Alpha-Ply. Weight? Cost? It would appear to me that a solid, one-piece unit would solve a myriad of water intrusion issues. On another note, I love the interaction you participate in with everyone on this site. I'm a member of many RV forums, and I've never seen this level of corporate involvement on member questions and ideas.

T

TomMontague

Thanks for the positive feedback. I enjoy being on the forum and talking to owners and prospective owners. It's a great resource to really learn how to build a better coach.

As for fiberglass roofs I think it has more to do with cost and weight. It's not easy to build either and we would need a much bigger space in production for it. There are just too many other ways to go that are for the most part every bit as good as the fiberglass roof. There are very few if any doing it now that Trilogy has been dropped by Forest River.

Hope this helps.

Talk soon
Tom

Tom,
I've been looking through the Landmark 365 brochure that I picked up at the Dallas show last week, and noticed that there's nothing in it that gives the insulation values of the coach and slides, nor the construction of the walls, roof and floor. Did I miss something? I went to the Heartland website and can find stats for the Bighorn and Big Country, but not the Landmark. I know they're built well, and don't doubt it, but I like to see exactly how they're constructed. What I'm also looking for is the thickness of the plywood under the EPDM membrane. Thanks!

David Lee

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
David take a look on this page. http://www.heartlandrvs.com/index.php?p=35&c=luxuryfw&sc=LM&view=specs Also they are built with the same process as the Big Horn.

Tom,
I've been looking through the Landmark 365 brochure that I picked up at the Dallas show last week, and noticed that there's nothing in it that gives the insulation values of the coach and slides, nor the construction of the walls, roof and floor. Did I miss something? I went to the Heartland website and can find stats for the Bighorn and Big Country, but not the Landmark. I know they're built well, and don't doubt it, but I like to see exactly how they're constructed. What I'm also looking for is the thickness of the plywood under the EPDM membrane. Thanks!

David Lee

jbeletti

tampabikeracer,

I believe our laminated roofs have a 1/8" layer of luan under the EPDM rubber membrane. Owners have mounted satellite dishes and solar panels to this roof. If I was installing solar panels that mount with brackets, I'd consider using Well Nuts.

well-nut.jpg well_nut_install.jpg

branson4020

Icantre Member
Thanks for the positive feedback. I enjoy being on the forum and talking to owners and prospective owners. It's a great resource to really learn how to build a better coach.

As for fiberglass roofs I think it has more to do with cost and weight. It's not easy to build either and we would need a much bigger space in production for it. There are just too many other ways to go that are for the most part every bit as good as the fiberglass roof. There are very few if any doing it now that Trilogy has been dropped by Forest River.

Hope this helps.

Talk soon
Tom

Fiberglass roof is an option on the DRV Elite Suites. I'm curious as to how many of those actually get built in a year.