american tires

1231ChaseB

Hi Everyone ! I'm sure this has been covered but ! Is there or is there not an American made ST235/80R16 tire made ??? I think i already know the answer but hope I'm wrong !!!!
chaseb

TireHobby

Hi Everyone ! I'm sure this has been covered but ! Is there or is there not an American made ST235/80R16 tire made ??? I think i already know the answer but hope I'm wrong !!!!
chaseb

Sometimes when the going gets tough for Goodyear & Carlisle ST tires they will bring a particular size or the whole series back to their USA manufacturing plants and play with the design. I'm pretty sure Goodyear has (again) tasked their off shore pants to once again manufacture the Marathon brand ST tire. On the other hand, Carlisle is always building tires here in the USA so you would have to call them if you’re serious about wanting their USA plant code on any tires you buy with their name brand on them.

TireHobby

tmcran

Look at Maxxis tires .Not American made but I have used them on two RVs and not one problem. I don't consider Carlisles as an acceptable tire .JMO.

ultrafarmer

I just put on Maxxis and now I am in Alaska and they are working great. Very bad roads in the Yukon. I am wandering when my springs are going to break. The sun is on overtime up here in Fairbanks.

reverts

We are having to put tires on as we had a blow out in one of our mission tires but luckily it was only about 2 blocks from home at a slow speed. Our tire size is 235/80R16 and the only american made tires we could find were Carlisle or Goodyear. The Goodyears we could not get for a few weeks and the Carlisle we can get this Thursday. We decided to go with the Carlisle as we have had them previously on our boat trailer and we have a trip coming up here in another week and half. I have not heard any bad things about Carlisle and have been told that it is a good trailer tire. If anyone knows something different please let us know. Thanks.

lwmcguir

We are having to put tires on as we had a blow out in one of our mission tires but luckily it was only about 2 blocks from home at a slow speed. Our tire size is 235/80R16 and the only american made tires we could find were Carlisle or Goodyear. The Goodyears we could not get for a few weeks and the Carlisle we can get this Thursday. We decided to go with the Carlisle as we have had them previously on our boat trailer and we have a trip coming up here in another week and half. I have not heard any bad things about Carlisle and have been told that it is a good trailer tire. If anyone knows something different please let us know. Thanks.

We have used a few and had good luck. Usually go with a heavier tire when we can.

Gary521

I personallly believe that the LT tires are better, in the long run than the ST tires. The ST tires only have a speed rating of 65 mph, whereas the LT is much higher. I have done a lot of research on this. If you look carefully, you will find that the LT245/75/16 is the exact same dimensions as the ST235/80/16 in terms of sectional width and tire diameter. Most folks have gone with the LT235/85/16. These tires have about a 1 inch or so diameter increase. This is OK if you have the trailer clearance or the clearance between tires.

Duramax1

A couple of months ago I posted a question on this site enquiring as to whether any Sundance owners had replaced their ST235/80/16 tires with an LT tire as I know the clearances are tight and I wanted to hear from someone who had actually made the change in size.

Hearing nothing, I went with Maxxis tires ST235/80/16.

tmcran

A couple of months ago I posted a question on this site enquiring as to whether any Sundance owners had replaced their ST235/80/16 tires with an LT tire as I know the clearances are tight and I wanted to hear from someone who had actually made the change in size.

You will be happy with the Maxxis. I replaced my Missions with Maxxis. Had them on last RV were good and had no problems.

GOTTOYS

I replaced the 235/80/16 tires that came with my Big Country just after I bought it with 235/85/16LT B.F. Goodrich Commercial TA's. No clearance problems. My wheel chocks still fit between them. They weigh about 10# more per tire than the flimsy Tow Masters they replaced. I have about 4,500 miles on them right now and have no issues. They run very cool and handle well. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. JMHO..Don

TireHobby

I replaced the 235/80/16 tires that came with my Big Country just after I bought it with 235/85/16LT B.F. Goodrich Commercial TA's. No clearance problems. My wheel chocks still fit between them. They weigh about 10# more per tire than the flimsy Tow Masters they replaced. I have about 4,500 miles on them right now and have no issues. They run very cool and handle well. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. JMHO..Don

There are major safety concerns with using replacement tires with less load carrying capacity than the OE tires. But, I'm not going to get into that here. Sometimes logic works best. So here is a question for you. Why would you want to haul a 14K RV trailer behind a truck that has OE tires with a much larger safety margin than the replacements you have selected for your heavy trailer?

What's good for the goose may also be good for the gander.

TireHobby

caissiel

On my previous trailer that I owned for 13 years, I had 5K axles and 225/75/15 class C tires rated to 2150 Lbs at 50PSI as the trailer placard indicated. I then went to Class D with capacity of 2650 Lbs at 65PSI. With all the Marathon tires I used, I constently had flats on long trips. One set was Carlisle's and they lasted one trip of 2000 Miles. I got mad and installed LT235/75/15 class C with 50PSI rating and 1850 Lbs capacity, and 1/2 price, and drove them with 60PSI for 6 years until I traded the trailer with them on with hardly any wear showing and no flats. They looked lower at 50PSI so I increased the pressure to 60PSI for trailer use.

To me LT tires are miles ahead in quality compared to trailer tires and from my experience would do it again. I have the Freestar's on my unit and they are also rated for truck front end use and trailers all over the world, so I trust them and so far they have been great.

GOTTOYS

There are major safety concerns with using replacement tires with less load carrying capacity than the OE tires. But, I'm not going to get into that here. Sometimes logic works best. So here is a question for you. Why would you want to haul a 14K RV trailer behind a truck that has OE tires with a much larger safety margin than the replacements you have selected for your heavy trailer?

What's good for the goose may also be good for the gander.

TireHobby
Fast Eagle er...Tire Hobby, Take your argument back over to RV net. This one's been rehashed over there a thousand times. We don't need this here. Thanks and have a nice day...Don