Atwood electric landing gear

I have a 2010 Bighorn 3185, I have had to rebuild each leg of the landing gear once each. is there a problem with the landing gear as I see the Heartland has changed to hydraulics. Would the upgrade be worth the cost.

danemayer

Hi Smokey1208,

From the Heartland brochures, it's pretty clear that hydraulic jacks operate way faster and easier than the older electric jacks. So I think there's reason to believe that Heartland wanted to improve the product, as opposed to fixing a problem.

As to whether upgrading is worth it, maybe others who have had both styles can comment. For my part, I love the auto-leveling system. Press a button and 4 hydraulic landing jacks go to the right position to level the rig.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Another option to consider is the Ground Control system. Four independent 5000 lb. electric jacks, easy to DIY install, no hydraulics to leak or worry about, no computer to go brain dead, and way less expensive. Granted, it is not an automatic leveling gizmo, like the Level-Up is (when it works), but easy to achieve level all the same. Should one of the motors fail, you can swap it from another jack or operate it manually with a ratchet and hex bit. You need to take your rig to Indiana (or an authorized service center) to get the Level-Up installed. The Ground Control system can be shipped to you.

The Ground Control system must be good since Lippert bought it from Reico-Titan and sells it through Mobile Outfitters.