Battery Overcharging

piach

OK, I just cleaned the rust and damage 2 days ago from a previous battery "leak" that happened about a year ago. As I was proudly showing off my work today, I noticed it "leaking" again. I did replace the previous battery last time. Good news I caught this one early. Now my question is what could be causing the battery to overcharge? Any suggestions to fix or help resolve this issue. I have a 2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD diesel. This has two batteries, the problem battery is the one on the passenger side near the fire wall. This was the same one last time.

bighorn3370

How does Gm wire the Battery on the drive side? If They just run the batery cables from right to left, the right battery is getting the charge from the alternator and the left one just gets the over flow to come up to full charge. Did you replace both batteris? They should be replace in pairs. If your left battery has some bad cells it will cause the chageing styem to keep up charging and over charge the good battry.

tmcran

I checked my batters today and found there was some residue on the passenger side battery. Looked as if might be a leak but could not find any cracks or bulging. I wiped some stuff off and it smelled like diesel. I then realized when I had my fuel filter changed they must have gotten some on the the sponge material. No cracks.

piach

OK had the electrical checked, all was good, turns our the front battery is the primary battery and it was bad, just starting to leak...system was trying to recharge it which was frying the other one.....just curious if anyone has had bad experiences with NAPA batteries, that was the second set that went bad within a year....I'm done with those....thanks for all the help, love this site!

ct0218

I've been running Napa Gold in several vehicles, and also my diesel forklift. The only one that has had a problem is my GMC, and the passenger side battery is always the one that dies. I'm on my 4th battery there, 2nd on the drivers side. My neighbor down the road has a 2004 Chevy with exactly the same problem with the passenger side battery--4 vs 2. There must be something going on with the way that voltage is pulled out or replaced in the ignition system,

RollingHome

piach, You're not going to like my answer... but, it's just the luck of the draw... Try another brand, really. It's not you or your truck ! Ya just have to use a battery that agrees. I can't suggest one so - think Wal Mart or Sam's. Also, you DO NOT have to replace both at the same time, that's just a old wive's tale. Electricity doesn't care about age... it's all about physics and resistance :). So just replace the bad battery and hope... Good Luck and Happy Camping. :). Tom

PS I have the same set up and I'm doing fine... Why GM only uses "1" batery to start baffles me ???

tmcran

piach, You're not going to like my answer... but, it's just the luck of the draw... Try another brand, really. It's not you or your truck ! Ya just have to use a battery that agrees. I can't suggest one so - think Wal Mart or Sam's. Also, you DO NOT have to replace both at the same time, that's just a old wive's tale. Electricity doesn't care about age... it's all about physics and resistance :). So just replace the bad battery and hope... Good Luck and Happy Camping. :). Tom

PS I have the same set up and I'm doing fine... Why GM only uses "1" battery to start baffles me ???

Are you saying he can use two different brands of batteries or replace both with different brand? How can you determine if a battery "AGREES" I have never heard of that. I would guess the OEM might agree the most in that case.

regor

My 2004 GMC 2500HD also has the passenger side battery boil over on the rear three cells. I feel because the battery is located partially under the firewall it is being inundated by the water runoff from the windshield. I plan on putting a plastic dam on the firewall to deflect the water. I noted the battery design leads to any water on the battery top to pool in the grove for the cell cap and the cap vent is in that grove. I also believe there should be a design upgrade on the Delco battery and the truck design.