Bighorn Down, 2 G614's gone

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I am interested to know any difference in your TPSM running temperatures between the old GY and the new Herc's. I am wondering if a lower running temperature on the new tires (stiffer? material? different construction?) reduced the delta on cold/running pressures. Or are the herc's softer - allowing more "Ballooning" of the tire keeping delta pressure down between cold/running?
Brian, what I noticed with the new Hercules, was a lesser increase in psi after traveling for a couple hundred miles.

The Goodyears at 105 cold increased to 121-122 running psi.
The Hercules at 95 cold increased to 101-102 running psi.

Temperatures were pretty close on both. Really hard to tell with sunny side tires being a bit warmer. I'm not convinced the temperature reading of the TST system is related to tire temperature or ambient air temps. I didn't think about it at the time but I have a a little infrared temp sensor I could have used.

After the Hercs were installed and we traveled about 150 miles, we stopped for supper. I did the feel test and I would have to say the Hercs were not as warm as the G614's. It might be due to tread design, tire compound or some other reason. The Hercs weigh about 46# not mounted if I remember correctly. I think you're right about the Hercs being a "softer" tire. As I said in my previous post, money is a bit tight right now so I'm getting 2 more Hercs Monday.

brianharrison

Thank you Ray for your reply. I appreciate your insight.

I concur the TST does not give a Tire temperature, nor ambient - but a ballpark reading somewhere in between. But it is beneficial for trending and indicating when "off-normal". I forgot about both tires being on same side and the "sunny side affect" on TST temperature reading. My bad. Two many variables to conclude anything definite.

Brian

aatauses

Great thread---glad you did not have any significant damage and no one was hurt. I do have a few questions and a comment. for JohnDar, we have freestarr on our BH, and they have been doing quite well---close to 20M miles including a trip up to AK. I did some checking on these in our size and found out they were mfg in CA--not China. They continue to run good, but I am starting to look to replace soon. This brings me to my questions---The maxxis--can we get those in the correct size? I checked web pages but could not find the size we need for the rv--235.85.16G? Also, I have never heard of Sailum s637--any information would be appreciated.
thanks
al
currently in Kenai, AK

Ray LeTourneau

This brings me to my questions---The maxxis--can we get those in the correct size? I checked web pages but could not find the size we need for the rv--235.85.16G? Also, I have never heard of Sailum s637--any information would be appreciated.
thanks
al
currently in Kenai, AK
I haven't heard of the Maxxis being available in Load Range G. As far as I know they only go up to E.
Surprising though, till now, I have never heard of Load Range F. I always just assumed they skipped F and went from E to G. :eek:

traveler44

Just wondering if that is about the lifetime of the G614s because I have them on the Bighorn. So I was wondering if I will have to replace mine in a couple of more years. Don't want to steal the thread but if anybody else has had them fail I would be interested to know how long they last. Glad to hear that they didn't tear very much up Ray. Tom

Ray LeTourneau

If I can figure it out, here are the pictures of the fail.

Attachments

• Tire6.jpg
    Tire6.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 119
  • Tire4.jpg
    Tire4.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 111
  • Tire2.jpg
    Tire2.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 112
  • Tire1.jpg
    Tire1.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 113

Ray LeTourneau

Suzi didn't stress out with all the excitement and delays did she?
She seems pretty much normal. She slept hard Sunday night though. I amazed at how well she's doing on this trip home. I'm sure she'll be glad to get back to the house with "no steps".;)

HappyKayakers

My G614's are wearing on the outside edges, both sides, all four tires. Weird. They will certainly wear out there before they dry rot. These thing's ain't cheap. Last quote I got was nearing $1900 for a set of FOUR.
I thought the same thing a couple of years ago when I was at an RV dealer getting some other work done. They took all sorts of measurements to make sure the axles and frame were good. I even posted a question on here. Someone was kind enough to visit the Goodyear website and post a stock pic of the tire. They're designed with that missing outside tread.

Ray LeTourneau

Update! Had the other 2 Hercules installed this morning. Dealer said he inflated to 85 psi. I should have checked. He only put in 75 psi. I took the rig back to Pride RV Resort to hook up the compressor and put all four at 95 psi. We traveled to Frankfort KY today. Average ambient air temps were 74. The tire pressures increased to only 100 psi on the sunny side and 98 psi on the shaded side of the rig. TPMS sensors were reading anywhere from 82 to 88 degrees. We stopped for lunch and I used the non contact thermometer on all four tires and all were between 98 and 100 degrees. After a 40 minute lunch, all tires were back to 95 psi. So far, I'm pleased with them but time will tell.