Bison in Custer State Park

TXTiger

I am currently working in Custer State Park and helping with the annual Buffalo Round Up .

Attachments

• DSC_0204.jpg
    DSC_0204.jpg
    639.5 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC_0136.jpg
    DSC_0136.jpg
    618.1 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC_0165.jpg
    DSC_0165.jpg
    716.4 KB · Views: 108

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Very cool Tony. I had no idea you were so close. When do you head out from there??

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We were in Custer State Park about 5 years ago and ran into a large herd along side the road. OH MY - they are big but impressive animals. The babies are just tooo cute.

olcoon

That's really neat, Tony that would be something to remember! I'd enjoy doing something like tat. Are you using your "iron horse"?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We drove through there when we were up there last summer . . .

Awesome!

SDMtRushmore-IMG_0760.jpg

yport

The top of my list of best state parks. We got a tip from a ranger, and got to watch an actual buffalo roundup across the prairie of some 200 buffalo with 20 horse & riders just like the old days (well except for the 1 pickup truck in the group.. lol). It was awesome and would go back there in a flash ... enjoy your time there.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Tony,
That is cool. That's something very few people get to do.

Have you decided to stay for the winter?
Trace

dewwood

We love Custer and I am very envious of you being able to participate in the roundup. We went down to the pens and working chutes when we were there a couple of years ago, it is very interesting to see how they have it all set up to handle those large and dangerous animals.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We drove through Custer State Park twice when we where in South Dakota last year and both times enjoyed the buffalo herds!

We did see the corral that is in the photos in the OP while we where there and are planning to go up there again in the near future to watch the round-up!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Tony, thats way cool. Note, if an adult gets loose....dig a hole and get in it. You can't out run one. 2000# @ 40 MPH with horns...good luck with that.

etcmss

we were there earlier this year and caught one rubbing the itch on a road sign pole

Attachments

• summer 2014 1 195 (Medium).JPG
    summer 2014 1 195 (Medium).JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 40

TXTiger

Next year is the 50th anniversary of the Buffalo Roundup. I should be there again. Hope many of you can make it. Maybe we could even have a Regional Rally at CSP. If anyone is interested in work camping there next summer let me know.

TXTiger

Tony, thats way cool. Note, if an adult gets loose....dig a hole and get in it. You can't out run one. 2000# @ 40 MPH with horns...good luck with that.

I was branding the calfs. One did get loose and chased us around. The calfs are about 350 to 700 pounds. This one was a large one and mean!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Tony, yes an adult bull or cow will get VERY mean if someone or thing is messing with a calf. I have seen a whole herd attack a wolf pack trying to get a calf. The wolves lost.