Bistro TV in 2012 Big Country 3690SL

icechex

We had our Big Country for a couple of years now and are 'very pleased' with it. We've had no serious problems with it and have decided we made a good choice when buying it.

However, we do have one issue....

The Bistro Tv (outside kitchen area) is pretty much 'useless' since I've yet to find out if it's possible to hook it up to our Dish Tailgater. From what little I've been able to find out - one must invest extra $ to run separate coax wire etc etc etc.... which I'm not inclined to do since we do not watch the outside tv that much, however, if there is a cheap way to hook it up I'm interested. As far as I can tell, the only reception you can get with it is antenna, although there is hardly any volume on this tv either).

I'm also interested in 'mods' to the (outside) kitchen area, i.e. replacing the refer with a small freezer, converting the entire area to storage, or any other ideas.

thanks in advance

danemayer

If you were asking about your sticks-n-bricks home, the answer would be to get another receiver for your 3rd TV, if your dish would support that - probably doesn't. It's not different in your RV.

One thing you might be able to do, if the receiver has COAX output, you could split the output and send one side to your living room TV and the other side back into the cable/antenna connector on the wall. That would send the signal to the other TVs. Some people have used this technique successfully. But it may depend on whether the other splitters in the RV pass signals in the wrong direction.

icechex

If you were asking about your sticks-n-bricks home, the answer would be to get another receiver for your 3rd TV, if your dish would support that - probably doesn't. It's not different in your RV.

One thing you might be able to do, if the receiver has COAX output, you could split the output and send one side to your living room TV and the other side back into the cable/antenna connector on the wall. That would send the signal to the other TVs. Some people have used this technique successfully. But it may depend on whether the other splitters in the RV pass signals in the wrong direction.

Thanks --- I'll give this a try. Btw, how do you like your new truck? I bought mine last July; 2012 Laramie Longhorn, 2x4, long box, cc, drw, 3.73 ..... I debated for a "solid month" whether to buy the new 2012 instead of the new 2013. My issue with the 2013 was the 'fuel additive,' although what I liked about it was the "Aisin Trans."

As it was $ made my mind up for me. I saved $3500 by taking the '12 (I was in the car business for 10 years so, yes, I made the best deal available). Still..... I occasionally 2nd guess myself (don't we all) and wonder if I should of bought the 2013. According to what I read on the "Dodge Diesel Blogs" .... more guys are happier with the 11's and 12's "without the fuel additive" than those who chose to "pay more" and get the Aisin Trans while having to 'suffer through' the fuel additive.

Since you didn't have that choice (12 or 13) that I did - I guess your choice was a lot easier. Anyway, I was just wondering how you like the truck. As for me (and my truck) I absolutely love it and if it had the "Aisin Trans" I would be Happy as ****...lol - but - I guess you can't have everything.

Btw, how often do you add the fuel additive?

Thanks for your response on the t.v. - I'll let you know if it works.

danemayer

Liking the truck.

I figured out the reason it occasionally starts locked in 1st gear. Turns out if you press the downshift button while shifting the lever to D, it sets and locks the transmission in first. I was occasionally bumping the button while moving the lever.

By additive, I assume you mean Diesel Exhaust Fluid. I had to add 5 gallons at 700 miles and over the next 500 miles the gauge went from full to 1/2. I'm now at 1900 miles and it's still on 1/2. So it's been on 1/2 for about 700 miles of non-towing. Hard to tell how much DEF it's actually using. I suppose I'll know when it's time to add 5 gallons again.

Transmission seems to make less noise now, or I'm tuning it out.

Still hesitates a bit when accelerating from a stop.

icechex

Liking the truck.

I figured out the reason it occasionally starts locked in 1st gear. Turns out if you press the downshift button while shifting the lever to D, it sets and locks the transmission in first. I was occasionally bumping the button while moving the lever.

By additive, I assume you mean Diesel Exhaust Fluid. I had to add 5 gallons at 700 miles and over the next 500 miles the gauge went from full to 1/2. I'm now at 1900 miles and it's still on 1/2. So it's been on 1/2 for about 700 miles of non-towing. Hard to tell how much DEF it's actually using. I suppose I'll know when it's time to add 5 gallons again.

Transmission seems to make less noise now, or I'm tuning it out.

Still hesitates a bit when accelerating from a stop.

Note: yes I was referring to the exhaust fluid. Oddly enough those two 'minor' complaints (noisy tranny/hesitation) are the two I hear most about from other guys. A buddy of mine has a 2013 and he's had his back to the dealer twice with a noise complaint but they just tell him it's "normal." I would be like him -----"concerned".... but I guess for as long as it's under warranty there's nothing to worry about.

I was real impressed with what I heard about the "Aisin" tranny but the one in the 2012 is "supposed" to be a good one too, at least I hope so, lol. When I was in the car business I mainly worked at Dodge Car Lots and the Dodge "tranny" was always the "weak link" .... so I'm particulary concerned about the auto transmission pulling this trailer around.

Especially since the Dodge I had before was a 2004 (5.9) 6 speed standard w/clutch. I loved it btw, but wife wanted something that was "smoother and quieter" ...so... you know the rest. I would of paid the difference in price for the 2013 just to get that tranny but I just didn't want to mess with two fluids.

Anyway... what's done is done.

Thanks again for your input on the TV and safe travels and good luck with your new truck. They are "nice" aren't they?