Brakes

Gary521

I installed Dexter Nev-R-Adjust brakes to replace shot brakes on a Bighorn. We just return from a trip through the mountains of Arizona, California and Colorado. I would like to report that these brakes work great. Do these brakes work as well as expensive disk brakes? Maybe or maybe not. All I can tell you is that I had no issues on 7% grades and with short stopping distances in towns and on the road. I highly recommend these brakes to everyone and they carry a nice sticker that say " Made in America".I did a manual adjustment after install and burnished in the brakes before the trip. Worked well from the get-go.

mobilcastle

I may put them on later-glad to hear they work well. What is the procedure to burnish?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Hi mobilecastle,

Find a road with low traffic and get speed up to 40mph. Use the manual brake controller with light pressure to exercise the trailer brakes lightly, very gradually slowing down to 20mph. Drive a mile and repeat. No hard stops while burnishing. The purpose of driving a mile before repeating is to prevent the brakes from overheating. They'll get plenty hot with a one mile interval.

When my Dexter brakes were replaced a few years ago, I had almost zero braking and Dexter had me repeat this procedure 50 times. After that I had outstanding brakes.

Yes it's a lot of driving. You might want to gently test the brakes after 20 iterations. Dexter was shipping very hard linings a few years ago. They may have changed materials since then and it may not take 50 anymore.

GOTTOYS

Hi mobilecastle,

Find a road with low traffic and get speed up to 40mph. Use the manual brake controller with light pressure to exercise the trailer brakes lightly, very gradually slowing down to 20mph. Drive a mile and repeat. No hard stops while burnishing. The purpose of driving a mile before repeating is to prevent the brakes from overheating. They'll get plenty hot with a one mile interval.

When my Dexter brakes were replaced a few years ago, I had almost zero braking and Dexter had me repeat this procedure 50 times. After that I had outstanding brakes.

Yes it's a lot of driving. You might want to gently test the brakes after 20 iterations. Dexter was shipping very hard linings a few years ago. They may have changed materials since then and it may not take 50 anymore.
I did the same burnishing to mine after I replaced them because they were covered with grease since the day I got it. At first the new brakes barely worked at all, just like before. After about 30-40 stops using this method I was able to lock the trailer brakes up using the manual control. Well worth the time to do this..Don