Bridge heights

Relayman

Anyone know of any publications showing bridge heights for trip route planning ? my 3270 is 13'3". Some of our nations rural bridges and trestles
may be impassable to some of us.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

bobca1

I agree this would be wonderful to have, perhaps even mapping app like a Google maps for RVs and truckers (maybe someday we get a check box for "truck routes" like they have for avoiding toll toads).

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
IMO...An incidental issue. We're 13' 3" also. Pulled the rig 30K miles. Avoid interstates where possible and travel US numbered highways and state highways. Have yet needed to turn around. When in doubt use the truck routes around a small rural town or borough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Relayman

I use the motor carriers road atlas $12

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0528015710/ref=od_aui_detailpages02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a listing by state of low bridges so I can determine at a glance if any of them on my route are going to be a problem.

I use that along with the Next Exit road trip planner to find fuel stops that can accommodate our height.
great info !!! thanks. i used to not worry too much..until i encountered a bridge that had a clearance of only 13 '6" near Tyler Texas !!! Yikes!

alexb2000

Check highway 114 in Roanoke (North of Fort Worth), you'd never expect a low bridge on a major highway in the DFW metroplex. I fit, but barely.

jayc

Legendary Member
We try to use freeways as much as possible for many reasons. This is taken from the U.S. Dept. of Transportation Federal Highway Administration website:

The specific standards for vertical clearance adopted for the Interstate System maintain its integrity for national defense purposes. On Interstates, the clear height of structures shall not be less than 16 feet (4.9 meters) over the entire roadway width, including the useable width of shoulder. In urban areas, the 16-foot (4.9-meter) clearance shall apply to at least a single routing. On other urban Interstate routes, the clear height shall not be less than 14 feet (4.3 meters). A design exception is required if this standard is not met. Exceptions on the Interstate must also be coordinated with the Military Surface Deployment and Distribution Command Transportation Engineering Agency of the Department of Defense.

travelin2

great info !!! thanks. i used to not worry too much..until i encountered a bridge that had a clearance of only 13 '6" near Tyler Texas !!! Yikes!

Lots of bridges 13' 6". Mine clears them all, so far .
Bridge into Glacier NP---13' 6". Been there, here right now!!!

AAdams

We also use LowClearances.com . They now have compatibility with many formats, including Google maps. The Low Clearance site has about 7000 low clearance locations in the USA and about 800 in Canada.

travelin2

13' 3" confirmed. I have personally measured it several times.
As I mention, I can recall at least 1/2 dozen bridges we've encountered that have been 13' 6" to 14'. One last fall was on an exit ramp looping back under the interstate in WV, 13' 6"!!! I cleared one bridge in PA marked 13' 3" very slowly after personal examination by several inches.
Directions online to several overnight stop have warned to not follow your gps due to a low bridge but to follow their specific directions. Like I said, nothing for me to lose sleep over but that's what makes each of who we are

Last edited:

JanAndBill

I use the motor carriers road atlas $12

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0528015710/ref=od_aui_detailpages02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a listing by state of low bridges so I can determine at a glance if any of them on my route are going to be a problem.

I use that along with the Next Exit road trip planner to find fuel stops that can accommodate our height.

You beat me to the punch. Best source of information that I know of. However, be advised that though truck routes are "supposed" to have minimum clearance standards, repaving and construction can chip away at that. Also be aware that city streets can be hazardous from low hanging limbs and wires.

Piperflyer

I use the Motor Carrier Atlas and my Garmin lets me put in my dimensions and tells me if I have an obstacle I can't get by on my route. Had no problems yet...

Dynatrak

A couple weeks ago we were in Marquette Park on lake Michigan, in Gary Indiana. We were leaving the park headed south and came upon an old iron bridge with is for a hiking trail across the road. That bridge has a posted height of 13' 7" which was not a problem as we are 13' 3". About 100 yards past this bridge is another bridge for the railroad. Approaching the bridge from the north there is no sign to show the height. Being the logical thinker that I am, :( , I assumed the unmarked bridge would be higher than the marked bridge. Unfortunately for my front AC cover the second bridge was only 13' 1", which it does state on the south side, but not from the north. Lesson learned, either turn around when it's close or have someone on the ladder watching as you slowly approach the bridge!!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
My Rand McNally RV-GPS has bridge height warnings as long as you are in 'RV' mode.

In the 3 1/2 years I've had it . . . so far so good!