Calgon?

lwmcguir

I have heard from a few people who use Calgon water softner in their tanks. They say it keeps the sensors clean? Just pour down toilet and into your sinks. Anyone have any feedback on this? It does make a bit of sense though.
Any surfactant such as Calgon/Dawn will help to keep the sensors and sides of the tank wetted. We use Dawn and one of the deodorant products and have since they started putting bathrooms in the campers. Works for us. Do use the special paper as well. Septic system differ a lot from holding tanks. Fiber tends not to dissolve no matter where it is unless you give it months to years.

Wharton

We have been using Dawn and 6 Polident in the black tank, just some Dawn in the other tanks. Seems to work fine. The big problem is the TP hangs up on the sensors and messes up the readings. We dump once a week or as needed(burp test). Everything seems to be fine.

In generaly, the sensors are useless. There are better ones available and I wish they were an option. In our previous trailer(built in 2000) we never had a problem with the sensors and found out the better ones were installed. I would gladly pay extra for better sensors.

If we ever have to drop our coreplast we will put in better sensors.

RollingHome

I thought I would make note of Sandie's original post. Sandie specifically stated Calgon Water Softener (CWS) should be put into the black tank to make it empty better - she is 100% correct. Before working for E.I.DuPont, I worked for Calgon Chemical Company. Calgon makes MANY different products. Some products have surfactants (which lower surface tension, i.e. detergents, wetting agents), some do not. CWS works by reducing the hard elements that build up such as calcium, magnesium etc. So using CWS softens the tank contents and any detergent (Dawn, Ivory etc.) should make the other stuff leave easier. Repeated use should be beneficial and accumulative. The important thing is - use Calgon Water Softener (CWS), no other Calgon product.

Here's another little tidbit, pick up any powdered detergent in the super market. Feel the weight, the heavy ones are less expensive. This is because the makers put salt in as a main ingredient and salt is heavy. The more salt the less it cost to make. The current CWS formula has 40 > 60 % salt. The original formula was mostly baking soda & sodium phosphate, it worked much better - the original CWS box was also lighter in weight. However, sodium phosphate is not good for the environment and the formula was changed. In the future Calgon may change the formula again and it may not work as well, keep this in mind. Happy RVing :)