Commode Burp

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I actually made an excellent demonstration video of the commode burp experience (yes, the bowl was clean!), but unfortunately, videos from my cell phone won't work with the forums for some reason. Showed the bubble and sound it makes nicely.

OK, I was bored, the toilet had already burped after an earlier use, and adult beverages were involved.

Driphder

I have the burping problem regularly. The first time I observed it, I ignored it. Eventually, the commode backed up, and I had to run a snake down the pipe to clear the clog. It appears the problem is that the drain pipe from the commode to the black tank runs the width of the trailer and is nearly horizontal. This design would be fine in a house where over a gallon of water is used to flush the commode. However, in an RV, where we try to conserve water (particularly when dry camping), the limited water used to flush is insufficient to push all of the waste through to the black tank. This drainage design seems problematic.

Tom

Riski

Nancy and I found this thread to be quite useful. Thanks for the info. The black water tank sensor reads empty and when I open the valve little comes out yet the pipe fills and toilet burps. Off to get a plumber's helper!

OldTanker

Same issue in our 2014 3875FB with the front commode. It's not a problem with how we use or drain the tank, we have been fulltiming for 10 years and this is our 4th RV. It's also the very first one to develope a blockage in the "down" pipe before the black tank. I have been reluctant to use a plunger as I was afraid the pipes would not handle the stress. I am making an assumption they are "less robust" than a stick house plumbing system like the rest of the RV is. Has anyone had a problem with the plunger usage? Running a light duty snake didn't clear the entire blockage and this problem has become quite chronic.

JohnDar

Same issue in our 2014 3875FB with the front commode. It's not a problem with how we use or drain the tank, we have been fulltiming for 10 years and this is our 4th RV. It's also the very first one to develope a blockage in the "down" pipe before the black tank. I have been reluctant to use a plunger as I was afraid the pipes would not handle the stress. I am making an assumption they are "less robust" than a stick house plumbing system like the rest of the RV is. Has anyone had a problem with the plunger usage? Running a light duty snake didn't clear the entire blockage and this problem has become quite chronic.

A length of heavy electrical cable, say a 6 or 4 gage, would make an excellent pipe cleaner. The owner at the CG we stay at during the summer gave me a section after he cleared a block in the TT my wife's girlfriend was renting from him. Stiff, yet still flexible enough to get around the bends and ream the clog.

Fortunately, in my rig, I'd have to drop the new roll of TP in the can to be able to block the pipe to the tank.

porthole

Retired
I actually made an excellent demonstration video of the commode burp experience (yes, the bowl was clean!), but unfortunately, videos from my cell phone won't work with the forums for some reason. Showed the bubble and sound it makes nicely.

OK, I was bored, the toilet had already burped after an earlier use, and adult beverages were involved.

Smart phone? Should be able to upload directly to youtube

porthole

Retired
Are you trying from a youtube URL or the app?

I load mine from the "i" device photos "album"

Photos
albums
video
click the video

small square on lower right with up arrow

scroll over to the youtube icon and tap

dasmoeturhead

I've been following this thread because ours burps aND spits also. I had the drain flushed out, and I ran a house down the vent, and it still does it. What a pita.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Did you do a good flush job of the pipe from the commode to the tank?
At one point I had the unwanted burping and there was a plug of TP in that area.
It also burps when the tank is full which is normal.

Peace
Dave

Kbvols

Never ever would I have thought I would be sitting and reading about a commode burping and spitting ...let alone be interested in it but....here I am.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dasmoeturhead

I have the burp and it will also splash up over the seat. Yesterday it clogged again. I have push a garden hose with nozzle all the way through the tank vent to the tank. The vent is clear. I also shoved the same hose down the toilet opening and after 2.5 hours of work on the system it finally cleared , but it still splashes up when flushed. I flushed the tank also, then filled it almost full yesterday once I cleared it, and then added some snake oil powder that the KOA sells that says it will digest the waste. The bow says do what I did and let it sit over night. Which I have. I seriously don't have any grand illusions that this will work, but I will drain and try it out soon. Keeping my fingers crossed. Wish I had a plumbing blueprint or as built of the system, so I could see what I'm up against. Its really putting a damper on my whole Landmark experience. Everything else in this coach is perfect.

JohnDar

It might be that the tank vent pipe extends too far into the tank. When you flush, the only air vent route will be back up the commode once the end of the pipe gets submerged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk